How can snake bites be prevented?
- Be careful about where hands and feet are placed. For example, avoid reaching into spaces, holes, or underneath objects without first being sure a snake is not hiding underneath.
- Do not lie down or sit down in areas where snakes might be located.
- Wear high-top leather boots when walking through or working in areas of dense vegetation.
- Do not attempt to capture, handle, or keep venomous snakes.
- Camp only in areas away from swamps, streams, dense foliage, and other places that snakes are known to inhabit.
- Slowly back away from and avoid touching any snake that is encountered.