Who is at risk for sprains?
Both professional and amateur athletes — as well as the general public — can sustain this type of injury. However, those who have a history of sprains, are overweight and are in poor physical condition have increased risk.
How can I help prevent sprains?
To help reduce the risk of sprains:
- Avoid exercising or playing sports when tired or in pain.
- Maintain a healthy weight and well-balanced diet to keep muscles strong.
- Wear shoes that fit properly.
- Practice safety measures to prevent falls.
- Do stretching exercises daily.
- Warm up and stretch before doing any physical activity.