How can I prevent a vocal cord lesion?
If you have a vocal cord disorder, you can:
- Stop smoking, and avoid being in smoke-filled rooms.
- If you have hypothyroidism, sinusitis, allergies, or reflux, get treatment.
- Avoid excess use of alcohol and limit caffeine intake.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Avoid excessive talking or speaking loudly without adequate vocal rest.
- Use a microphone.
- Use a humidifier in your home.
- Warm up your voice before singing or prolonged speaking.
- Rest your voice in anticipation of future speaking obligations.
- Avoid singing or excessive talking if you have an upper respiratory infection.
- Wash your hands often.
- Use stress reduction techniques, cognitive therapy, or yoga to lessen muscle tension.