How can delirium be prevented?
The following suggestions might help prevent delirium:
- Having a clock and calendar nearby.
- Having lots of lighting during the day.
- Limiting medicines that may cause delirium or any extra medicines that are not needed.
- Drinking plenty of water and other fluids.
- Trying to walk or at least sit in a chair daily.
- Reporting to doctors and nurses any symptoms of an infection (cough, fever, pain, shortness of breath).
- Family involvement in the patient’s treatment.