What questions should I ask my doctor?
If you have a varicocele, you may want to ask your healthcare provider:
- Do I need to be treated?
- Are my symptoms likely to get worse without treatment?
- What steps can I take to improve my symptoms at home?
- Could the varicocele affect my fertility?
- What are my treatment options?
- Can surgery improve my fertility?
A note from Cleveland Clinic
A varicocele is a common condition that can affect men of different ages and stages of life. Most people experience mild or no symptoms. Deciding whether to treat a varicocele is up to you. Wearing a supportive jockstrap or over-the-counter pain medication may be enough to resolve minor symptoms. Varicoceles can cause male infertility. Surgery to repair a varicocele can sometimes improve fertility. Talk with your healthcare provider about your treatment options, including how surgery may impact your reproductive future.