How can bruises be prevented?
Bruises are a common problem even among healthy children and adults. Although they cannot totally be prevented, you can reduce your risk of bruises in the following ways:
- Wear helmets or other protective equipment when playing contact sports or riding a motorcycle.
- Keep floors and walkways clear of obstructions (such as throw rugs) that might cause you to slip and fall.
- Keep furniture away from doorways or walkways where you might bump into it.
- Carry a flashlight when walking through poorly lit areas to reduce the risk of accidental falls.
- Keep a night light on in case you need to get up during the night to go to the bathroom.
- Make sure your diet contains adequate amounts of vitamins B12, C, and K, and folic acid.