What can I do to prevent or relieve the symptoms of chronic cough?
To prevent chronic cough:
- Quit smoking, or don't start smoking, since this is the most common reason for chronic cough.
- Avoid contact with anyone you know who may have bronchitis or pneumonia.
- Eat fruit and foods that contain fiber. Research suggests that a combination of fiber and flavonoids found in fruit may prevent chronic cough.
To relieve the symptoms of chronic cough:
- Drink plenty of water (at least eight 8-ounce glasses a day).
- Gargle with warm saltwater to help remove any mucus.
- Inhale steam.
- Avoid inhaling dust, smoke or other pollutants as much as possible.
- Use extra pillows at night to prop up your head and upper body.
- Try cough lozenges.
- Try over-the-counter cough medicines that contain guaifenesin and/or dextromethorphan.