How can I prevent warts?
There’s really no way to prevent warts. However, you can lower your risk of picking up the virus or stop warts from spreading by taking these steps:
- Avoid shaving over a wart.
- Break the habit of biting your nails or picking at cuticles.
- Don’t share towels, washcloths, clothing, nail clippers, razors or other personal items.
- Don’t touch another person’s wart.
- Get the HPV vaccine and use condoms to prevent genital warts.
- Keep your feet dry to prevent the spread of plantar warts.
- Try not to scratch, cut or pick at a wart.
- Wear flip-flops or shoes when using a public locker room, pool area or showers.