Can malaria be prevented?
Yes, malaria can be prevented. Here are some important tips to help keep you from getting the disease:
- Check with your Health Department to find out if malaria is a risk when traveling out of the country.
- If you are traveling to a country where malaria is common, talk to your doctor or health department about taking medication that could keep you from getting malaria.
- When traveling in areas with mosquito infestation, put on insect repellent that contains N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide (DEET).
- Wear clothing that does not leave your skin exposed to mosquitoes.
- When living in or visiting a country where malaria is commonly found, sleep under treated mosquito netting.