What happens if my child has developmental delay?

Depending on what the concerns are, your healthcare provider may refer your child to several specialists. These may include:

  • A hearing specialist
  • A speech therapist
  • A developmental pediatrician
  • A neurologist
  • A provider of Early Intervention Services (such as Help Me Grow)

Will my child "outgrow" developmental delay?

It is not likely that your child will outgrow a developmental problem on his or her own. But, with help, your child could reach his or her full potential.

Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 06/09/2016.


Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy