How can the risk of abnormal menstruation (periods) be reduced?
Here are some recommendations for self-care:
- Try to maintain a healthy lifestyle by exercising moderately and eating nutrious foods. If you have to lose weight, do so gradually instead of turning to diets that drastically limit your calorie and food intake.
- Make sure you get enough rest.
- Practice stress reduction and relaxation techniques.
- If you are an athlete, cut back on prolonged or intense exercise routines. Excessive sports activities can cause irregular periods.
- Use birth control pills or other contraceptive methods as directed.
- Change your tampons or sanitary napkins approximately every four to six hours to avoid toxic shock syndrome and prevent infections.
- See a doctor for regular check-ups.