Can melanoma be prevented?
You may reduce your risk of melanoma by protecting yourself from excess sun and sunburns.
- Avoid sun and seek shade, especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Do not use tanning beds.
- Whenever possible, wear hats with brims, sunglasses, long-sleeved shirts, and pants.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a skin protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher and reapply often.
- Use a lip balm with sunscreen.
- Don't forget to apply sunscreen to young children and to infants older than 6 months.
Early detection is important to minimize the risks associated with melanoma. Be sure to tell your doctor about any new or changing moles, sores, or discolorations. In addition, have your doctor routinely perform a total skin examination to look for signs of skin cancer.