Do I need to have any testing done to evaluate my leg cramps?
Usually your doctor only needs your medical history to make the diagnosis of nocturnal leg cramps. Your doctor may ask you such questions as:
- When do you experience the leg cramps and how often do they occur?
- How would you describe your leg pain?
- How long does the pain last?
- What medications are you currently taking?
- What known medical conditions do you have?
Routine blood tests are not helpful in diagnosing nocturnal leg cramps but they may help identify previously undiagnosed medical conditions. A physical exam and other tests may be done to help determine other causes for the muscle cramping.