How can I reduce heartburn symptoms without hurting my baby?
- Eat several small meals each day instead of three large ones.
- Eat slowly.
- Avoid fried, spicy, or rich foods, or any foods that seem to increase your heartburn.
- Don't lie down immediately after eating.
- Keep the head of your bed higher than the foot of your bed. Or, place pillows under your shoulders to help prevent stomach acids from rising into your chest.
- Ask your doctor about trying over-the-counter heartburn relievers such as Tums® or Maalox®.
If your heartburn persists, see your doctor. He or she may prescribe medications that are safe to take during pregnancy.