How can thrush be prevented?
You can do these things to help you avoid a case of thrush:
- Follow good oral hygiene practices: Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss at least once a day.
- Avoid certain mouthwashes or sprays: These products can destroy the normal balance of microorganisms in your mouth. Talk to your dentist or doctor about which ones are safe to use.
- See your dentist regularly: This is especially important if you have diabetes or wear dentures.
- Limit the amount of sugar and yeast-containing foods you eat: Foods such as bread, beer and wine encourage Candida growth.
- If you smoke, QUIT! Ask your doctor about ways to help you kick the habit.