Can canker sores be prevented?
Although there is no cure for canker sores and they often recur, you may be able to reduce their frequency by:
- Avoiding foods that irritate your mouth, including acidic, hot or spicy foods.
- Avoiding irritation from gum chewing.
- Brushing with a soft-bristled brush after meals and flossing daily. This will keep your mouth free of foods that might trigger a sore.
- Avoiding oral hygiene products containing sodium lauryl sulfate.
You should call your doctor or dentist if you have:
- Unusually large sores.
- Sores that are spreading.
- Sores that last three weeks or longer.
- Intolerable pain despite avoiding trigger foods and taking over-the-counter pain medication.
- Difficulty drinking enough fluids.
- A high fever with the appearance of the canker sore(s).