Can canker sores be prevented?
Although there is no cure for canker sores and they often recur, you may be able to reduce their frequency by:
- Avoiding foods that irritate your mouth, including acidic, hot or spicy foods
- Avoiding irritation from gum chewing
- Brushing with a soft-bristled brush after meals and flossing daily. This will keep your mouth free of foods that might trigger a sore.
- Avoiding oral hygiene products containing sodium lauryl sulfate
You should call your doctor or dentist if you have:
- Unusually large sores
- Sores that are spreading
- Sores that last 3 weeks or longer
- Intolerable pain despite avoiding trigger foods and taking over-the-counter pain medication
- Difficulty drinking enough fluids
- A high fever with the appearance of the canker sore(s)