How can I avoid tendinitis?
To avoid getting tendinitis, follow these tips:
- Avoid staying in the same position. Take breaks every 30 minutes.
- Learn proper posture positions for all activities.
- Position your body directly in front of the object you want to pick up. Reach for the object stretching your arm and hand directly forward toward the object. Never grab objects with your arm in a sideways position. If reaching for an object overhead, center your body and reach up and grab the item with both hands.
- Use a firm, but not a tightly squeezed, grip when working with or picking up objects.
- Don't use one hand to carry heavy objects. Don't hold the heavy object in one hand at the side of your body.
- Avoid sitting with your leg folded under.
- Stop any activity if you feel pain.
Before exercising or starting a sports activity:
- Stretch and warm up before starting the activity.
- Wear properly sized and fitted clothes, shoes, and equipment.
- Start slow. Gradually increase your activity level.