How is metabolic syndrome diagnosed?
You are diagnosed with metabolic syndrome if you have three or more of the following:
- A waistline of 40 inches or more for men and 35 inches or more for women (measured across the belly)
- A blood pressure of 130/85 mm Hg or higher or are taking blood pressure medications
- A triglyceride level above 150 mg/dl
- A fasting blood glucose (sugar) level greater than 100 mg/dl or are taking glucose-lowering medications
- A high density lipoprotein level (HDL) less than 40 mg/dl (men) or under 50 mg/dl (women)