Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 10/27/2019.
- Expert knowledge and experience of healthcare providers at Cleveland Clinic.
- American College of Gastroenterology. Colonoscopy. Accessed 1/31/2020.
- The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Colonoscopy. Accessed 1/31/2020.
- Endometriosis.org. Bowel symptoms. Accessed 1/31/2020.
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Understanding Bowel Preparation. Accessed 1/31/2020.
- Gies A, Cuk K, Schrotz-king P, Brenner H. Direct Comparison of Diagnostic Performance of 9 Quantitative Fecal Immunochemical Tests for Colorectal Cancer Screening. Gastroenterology. 2018;154(1):93-104.
- World Health Organization. Colonoscope. Accessed 1/31/2020.
- De lima A, Galjart B, Wisse PH, Bramer WM, Van der woude CJ. Does lower gastrointestinal endoscopy during pregnancy pose a risk for mother and child? - a systematic review. BMC Gastroenterol. 2015;15:15.
- Bechtold ML, Mir F, Puli SR, Nguyen DL. Optimizing bowel preparation for colonoscopy: a guide to enhance quality of visualization. Ann Gastroenterol. 2016;29(2):137–146. doi:10.20524/aog.2016.0005
- Fang JC, Faerber G, Samadder J. Digital rectal examination for prostate cancer screening performed with colonoscopy for colon cancer screening: 2 for the price of 1. Gastrointest Endosc. 2017;86(6):1147-1150.
- Baffy G. Digital Rectal Examination: Is It Warranted in the Endoscopy Suite?. Am J Gastroenterol. 2019;114(2):355.
- Lab Tests Online. Fecal Immunochemical Test and Fecal Occult Blood Test. Accessed 1/31/2020.
- American Cancer Society. American Cancer Society Guideline for Colorectal Cancer Screening: For people at average risk. Accessed 1/31/2020.
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Colorectal cancer screening: Recommendations for physicians and patients from the U.S. Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. Accessed 1/31/2020.