Cleveland Clinic's Breast Program is unique because it follows Cleveland Clinic's multidisciplinary approach to medical care. The program serves as a model—an excellent example of how teams of specialists from all disciplines can work together for the good of the patient.
There is no other place in the world like Cleveland Clinic—and no better place to receive care. Our team approach is unique, and serves as the very fiber of Cleveland Clinic. We are a national and international resource and a driving force of medicine in this part of the country. Our structure allows us to offer world-class care and research.
Cleveland Clinic's Breast Program is different because of our dedication to the treatment of breast cancer. We have breast surgeons, breast specialists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists, physician assistants, nurses, genetics counselors, and administrative staff dedicated solely to the treatment of breast cancer.
Cleveland Clinic's Breast Program is different because of the scale of our program. Cleveland Clinic main campus is the nucleus of the Cleveland Clinic health system, which relies on the specialized service of our Breast Program. This system is continually growing and expanding. The Breast Program is not only connected to this major growth and expansion, but is a major part of it. Women from all over Ohio and beyond are referred to our Breast Center for care. Unlike some health care facilities, our expertise increases at every level of care, rather than decreasing as the woman’s health becomes a greater concern. All aspects of therapy are available within our system. She stays within our system; we care for her through cancer treatment, as compassionately as possible, using state-of-the-art treatment strategies.
To provide optimal coordinated patient care for the treatment of breast cancer, superior diagnostic strategies for this disease, the most influential and advanced research, and the best avenue to identify patients at risk, while using education, treatment, and diagnostic strategies to improve their well-being.
Patient services at the Cleveland Clinic Breast Center
Cleveland Clinic's Breast Center offers the highest quality care for the screening, diagnosis and treatment of all medical and cosmetic breast problems. Equipped with state-of-the-art technology and staffed by an unmatched team of physicians, nurses and technologists, the Breast Center provides patients with the latest and most innovative procedures available in a setting that is warm and supportive.
Range of services
- Routine screening mammography
- Comprehensive evaluation for patients at high risk due to family history or prior cancer
- Timely diagnosis and treatment
- Second opinions
- Full range of medical and surgical treatment options for breast cancer
- Consultation for breast reconstruction
- Access to the latest clinical research trials
- Genetic analysis to assist in breast cancer risk assessment
Early detection and screening
Even with all the latest advances in the treatment of breast cancer, the best chance for survival is early detection. Cleveland Clinic's Breast Center offers routine screening mammography and education to encourage women to stay on top of their health. Services include:
- Expert mammography readings by dedicated breast imaging physicians
- State-of-the-art mammography facilities including digital mammography
- Convenient screening at our suburban family health centers
Accurate diagnosis and evaluation
The Breast Center offers the latest diagnostic techniques and provides prompt, accurate evaluation of any breast problem. Services include:
- Second opinions on diagnoses
- Breast imaging capabilities, such as mammography and ultrasound, interpreted by highly trained and experienced physicians
- Nationally recognized pathology services (laboratory analysis)
- Stereotactic and ultrasound guided core breast biopsy (an outpatient procedure that requires no incision and only local anesthesia)
- Breast MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
Coordinated, individualized treatment options
The Breast Center’s team of experienced physicians – breast surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists, and plastic surgeons – offers a complete range of treatments for breast cancer and other breast disorders, including:
- Surgical interventions for breast cancer
- Adjuvant medical therapies, including chemotherapy, hormone therapy and bone marrow transplantation
- Post-treatment rehabilitation and support groups
- Reconstructive surgery performed alone or together with therapeutic breast cancer surgery
- Access to clinical trials
For a Second Opinion
Many women upon hearing biopsy results suspicious for breast cancer will request a second opinion. These patients are given priority appointments and are asked to bring: mammogram films, pathology reports, pathology slides, and operative notes from their biopsy procedure (if available). All of these records and specimens will need to be reviewed so that treatment options may be discussed.