Kathleen A. Singleton, MSN, RN, CNS, CMSRN, is a clinical nurse specialist in medical-surgical nursing at Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital. With a rich and well-rounded nursing career history, Singleton brings four decades of experience to her leadership position. As a well-known resource within the health system, Singleton assists bedside nurses with workload balance, offering them insight, ideas and solutions. She also shares her knowledge with those in leadership positions, encouraging them to work with confidence, commitment and passion, and to seek evidence-based input and collaborative multidisciplinary decision-making.
Singleton began her nursing career in 1972 as a licensed practical nurse, joining the Cleveland Clinic team in 1974. Throughout her tenured career, she has served as a bedside critical care nurse, instructor of nursing and care coordinator for vascular surgery, in addition to her current role. As a clinical nurse specialist, Singleton brings patients, nurses and processes together to achieve clinical excellence and advance the practice of medical-surgical nursing. For nearly 20 years, she has held a leading role within the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN), serving as president of the organization from 2008 to 2010. She has published works in many peer-reviewed journals and presented in podium and panel settings throughout the country on medical-surgical nursing, vascular surgery and peripheral vascular disease assessment.
- MSN, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 1991
- BSN, University of Akron, Akron, Ohio, 1987
- ADN, Lorain County Community College, Lorain, Ohio, 1982
- LPN, Lakewood School of Practical Nursing, 1972
- Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (CMSRN), Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses
Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital
18101 Lorain Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44111
Singleton has served as a clinical nurse specialist for more than 20 years. An active leader both within the Cleveland Clinic health system and the nursing and healthcare industries, Singleton’s leadership experience is vast. For two years, she served as the president of the AMSN, leading the organization’s more than 10,000 members in the areas of education, professional development and more. She currently participates in both Zielony Nursing Institute and Fairview Hospital policy and professional practice development activities.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Singleton is a clinical nurse specialist (CNS) in medical-surgical nursing.
Teaching coursework within the areas of leadership and medical-surgical nursing, Singleton has served as an instructor at the following institutions:
- Lorain County Community College, Lorain, Ohio
- Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, Ohio
Research & Publications
With published works appearing in many nursing and healthcare journals, Singleton has written on several notable topics surrounding the advancement of medical-surgical nursing practice. She has also presented in numerous podium and panel settings for local, regional and national industry conferences within the clinical areas of medical-surgical, vascular surgery and peripheral vascular disease assessment.
- Member, Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN)
- Member, AMSN PRISM Award Task Force, AMSN
- National Conference Ambassador, AMSN
- Past President, AMSN (2008-2010)
- Past Chair, Clinical Practice Committee, AMSN
- Past Foundation Charter Committee Member, AMSN
- Past Treasurer, AMSN
Honors & Awards
- 2013 President’s Award, Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses, 2013
- Sam and Maria Miller Lifetime Achievement Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2013
- STERIS Nurse of the Year, Nurse Honoree, Center for Health Affairs and Academy of Medicine, 2001
- Best of the Best, National Nurses Week Recognition, The Plain Dealer, 1994
- Mellen Clinical Excellence Practice Award, Cleveland Clinic, 1993
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation Critical Care Scholarship Award for Graduate Study, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, 1988