Mary Beth Modic, DNP, RN, CNS, CDE, is a clinical nurse specialist in diabetes at Cleveland Clinic main campus. She also holds a position in the Center of Excellence in Healthcare Communication in the Office of Patient Experience as the Director of Advanced Clinical Practice. Dr. Modic has more than three decades of experience in nursing practice, education, consultation and research. Dr. Modic’s career longevity encompasses positions such as staff nurse, nursing education instructor and quality data specialist. She has taught undergraduate students both clinically and in the classroom at Kent State University and is a lecturer at Case Western Reserve University’s Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing. She also serves as a preceptor to graduate nursing students from schools throughout Northeast Ohio.
Dr. Modic has published over 60 peer-reviewed articles which have appeared in both nursing and medical journals and is a national and international presenter. Throughout her career, Dr. Modic has received several honors and awards. She was inducted into the Cleveland Clinic health system Nursing Hall of Fame in 2006 and received the Association of Patient Experience Outstanding Caregiver Award in 2015. She also co-directed a video entitled “The Legacy Continues with You,” which earned the Nurses’ Choice Award from the Ohio Nurses’ Foundation Board of Trustees in 2011.
- DNP, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 2013
- MSN, College of Nursing, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, 1987
- BSN, College of Mount St. Joseph, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1976
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE), American Association of Diabetes Educators
- Certificate of Authority
9500 Euclid Avenue / P32
Cleveland, Ohio 44195
Guiding, educating and mentoring others, Dr. Modic has worked to advance the nursing profession since she began her career in 1976. One of her most notable accomplishments has been the creation of a Diabetes Management Mentor program which provides bedside nurses with advanced knowledge about effective inpatient diabetes management strategies. She led the curriculum revision for the Cleveland Clinic Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) program which was based on extensive patient feedback. She serves as a faculty member in the Foundations for Healthcare Communications Course, Interprofessionalism Course, and LEAD – a clinical leadership development program for bedside and assistant nurse managers.
Dr. Modic’s area of clinical expertise lies within diabetes management. She holds certification as a certified diabetes educator awarded by the American Association of Diabetes Educators.
With a history in education that began in 1978 as an instructor within Cleveland Clinic’s nursing education department, Dr. Modic has taught undergraduate students both clinically and in the classroom. She has also served as a preceptor to graduate nursing students from schools throughout Northeast Ohio, and has fulfilled roles such as a clinical instructor, classroom faculty, or lecturer at the following institutions:
- Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
- Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, Ohio
Research & Publications
Dr. Modic’s work has appeared in many peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, in which she co-authors a bimonthly column on preceptorship. She has also authored web-based educational materials for General Electric Healthcare and Elsevier/Mosby and frequently presents at national meetings throughout the country. Her research has focused on issues related to diabetes management, serving as the primary investigator on studies such as the examination of meal consumption patterns of patients hospitalized with diabetes, the efficacy of a double checking insulin procedure, nurses’ knowledge of diabetes principles and characteristics of effective nurse/physician collaboration.
- Member, American Association of Diabetes Educators
- Member, American Diabetes Association
- Member, American Nurses’ Association
- Member, Association of Nurses in Professional Development
- Member, National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists and Task Force Member, Care Transitions
- Member, Northeast Ohio Clinical Nurse Specialists and Committee Member, Program Planning
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Society of Nursing – Alpha Mu Chapter
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Caregiver Award – Association of Patient Experience, 2015
- Nurses Choice Award for co-creation of video entitled: “The Legacy Continues with You,” Ohio Nurses Foundation Board of Trustees, 2011
- Nursing Excellence Award – Nancy M. Albert Research Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2010
- Viewpoint Writer’s Award, American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing, 2009
- Barbara Donaho Distinguished Leadership in Learning Award, Kent State University, 2009
- Cleveland Clinic Nursing Excellence Award – Nursing Research Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2008
- Inductee, Cleveland Clinic Health System Nursing Hall of Fame, 2006
- Nursing Excellence Award – Poinsetta Jeffery Humanitarian Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2001
- Inductee, Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society, 1990