Dianna J. Copley, MSN, APRN, ACCNS-AG, CCRN, is a board-certified adult geriatric clinical nurse specialist at Cleveland Clinic main campus. In her role, Copley serves as a clinical expert and resource for nurses within Cleveland Clinic’s Medicine Institute, primarily covering the H80 and H81 internal medicine telemetry nursing units. She has a wide variety of clinical interests, including care of the critically ill adult patient, bioethics, end-of-life care and transplantation. She is passionate about staff development, nursing research and quality improvement – particularly bedside nurses’ role in quality improvement.
Copley joined Cleveland Clinic as a bedside nurse in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) in 2009. Currently, she is involved in numerous Cleveland Clinic committees and councils. She is a member of several national and regional nursing associations and organizations, including the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN), the National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS) and the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN). Additionally, Copley’s notable career successes include numerous podium and poster presentations, a published article on the topic of atrial fibrillation, and collaborative work on comprehensive sepsis care.
- MSN, Adult Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, 2015
- BSN, University of Akron, Akron, Ohio, 2010
- Associate of Science, Lorain County Community College, Elyria, Ohio, 2009
- Associate of Art, Lorain County Community College, Elyria, Ohio, 2009
- Associate of Applied Science, Nursing, Lorain County Community College, Elyria, Ohio, 2008
- Certificate to Prescribe (CTP), Ohio Board of Nursing
- Adult Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist (ACCNS-AG), American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN), American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), American Heart Association
- Basic Life Support (BLS), American Heart Association
9500 Euclid Ave / H80-81
Cleveland, Ohio 44195
Copley is a clinical expert in her field, serving as a resource and mentor for all unit-based nurses within two internal medicine telemetry units on Cleveland Clinic’s main campus. Throughout her career, Copley has always possessed strong leadership abilities. As a bedside nurse, she was co-chair of her unit’s shared governance, an active career ladder participant, a nurse coach, and served as a Vascular Access Resource Nurse, as well as a member of the Nursing Institute’s Image & Branding Council. Currently, she serves on numerous committees within the Cleveland Clinic health system, including the Sepsis Steering Committee, where she helped coordinate and assist in the development of the nursing education plan for the implementation of ‘Sepsis Best Practice Alerts’ throughout the health system. She is also an active participant on Cleveland Clinic’s Medicine Patient Safety Committee, Medical-Surgical Practice Council, Diabetes Care Committee and Nursing Practice Council, among others.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Copley is an adult geriatric clinical nurse specialist (CNS) with specialty expertise in the care of critically ill adult patients, internal medicine, and medical-surgical nursing.
Copley is a mentor and clinical educator for nurses and healthcare teams wishing to promote evidence-based nursing practice and nursing research.
Research & Publications
An avid presenter, Copley has spoken to healthcare and nursing audiences throughout the country on important topics such as Atrial fibrillation treatment guidelines, promoting professionalism as the bedside nurse, Surgical Intensive Care Unit RN engagement, high-risk tracheostomy, decreasing unit-acquired pressure ulcer rates, and more. Her work on atrial fibrillation was published in AACN Advanced Critical Care and she was also involved in the development of an IRB exempt survey to explore nursing caregivers’ experience of workplace violence committed by patients and visitors.
- Member, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- Member, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN), Lake Erie Chapter
- Board Member, AACN, Lake Erie Chapter
- Secretary, AACN, Lake Erie Chapter
- Member, National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS)
- Member, NACNS, Northeast Ohio Affiliate
- Steering Committee Member, NACNS, Northeast Ohio Affiliate
- Website Manager, NACNS, Northeast Ohio Affiliate
- Member, Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN)
- Member, AMSN, Northeast Ohio Chapter