Weight & Lifestyle Management
Giving you the skills and tools to make the changes you need to lose weight, maintain weight loss, and improve your overall physical and mental wellbeing.
Have you ever wondered why many capable, motivated people have difficulty losing weight or maintaining weight loss?
So have we. At Cleveland Clinic Canada, we have gathered the evidence and are pleased to offer a different kind of weight loss program, one that focuses not only on helping you achieve your optimal weight but also on providing you with the tools and strategies to help you sustain the healthy lifestyle changes that you make. It is an intensive program that requires significant commitment and readiness from program participants. Our team of specialists uses best practice guidelines to help you set specific and achievable goals.
Our Weight and Lifestyle Management (WLM) program is unique because it goes beyond the traditional diet and exercise mentality by using an evidence-based and interdisciplinary approach. You will benefit from working closely with a team that includes a Case Manager, Registered Dietitian, Registered Psychologist/ Psychotherapist and Exercise Physiologist who design a customized program based on your unique medical history, lifestyle and goals. We can also consult with our Nurse Practitioner to ensure that patients in the program receive the care they need.
- Weight loss
- Patients seeking an intensive program that includes weight management and lifestyle modification solutions in a safe, controlled, clinical environment.
- Improved health, energy and wellness
- Patients with one or more health concerns, such as smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure, weight problems, hyperlipidemia, or a family history of heart disease.
- Achieve your optimal weight
- Acquire knowledge, skills and tools ensure long-term success with healthy lifestyle changes
- Reduce your risk of chronic disease such as heart attack, diabetes and stroke
- Enjoy improved fitness, self-esteem, and overall physical and mental health
- Case Manager:
Assists you in establishing SMART (specific, measurable, action, realistic and time specific) goals, helps you troubleshoot obstacles you may encounter, and provides weekly support and motivational coaching.
- Registered Dietitian:
Assists you with meal planning, portion sizes, dining out and creating appetizing meals. We also help you feel comfortable and satisfied with your new way of eating. We help you develop strategies to manage hunger and cravings and improve energy levels.
- Exercise Physiologist:
Conducts an assessment, including VO2 max testing, to determine your current level of fitness. This metabolic stress test is driven by innovative technology that uses a breath-by-breath gas analysis to gauge precisely how your metabolism is functioning during all stages of exercise. The test is performed on a bike or treadmill. This test, combined with the fitness assessment, will determine your baseline fitness level and help to create and monitor a fitness plan that works specifically for you.
- Registered Psychologist/Psychotherapist:
Uses cognitive-behavioural therapy, mindfulness, and emotion-focused therapy to address factors that may be blocking your diet, exercise, and weight loss goals, such as emotional eating triggers, mood states, anxiety, stress, relationships, and sleep disturbance. Your registered psychologist/psychotherapist teaches you more effective coping strategies, helps you identify and overcome negative and self-sabotaging thought patterns and, if relevant, helps you develop a healthy body image.
- Nurse Practitioner:
Nurse practitioners are registered nurses who have additional education and nursing experience. This allows them to order and interpret diagnostic tests for you, communicate diagnoses, prescribe pharmaceuticals and perform specific procedures.
Two Program Options: Comprehensive and à la Carte
1. Comprehensive Program:
- A baseline medical assessment with a Nurse Practitioner, including a follow-up at the conclusion of the program.
- Weekly support/coaching with your Case Manager.
- Comprehensive pre and post blood work panel.
- Resting Metabolic Rate testing – learn the number of calories you burn at rest daily.
- VO2Max testing- Measures the ability of your muscles to use oxygen during exercise. As you increase your VO2 max, you improve your stamina, endurance and energy levels for daily activities. You also increase your ability to burn more calories when you are active.
- Body composition testing, with a focus on lean muscle mass.
- Individualized consults with a Registered Dietitian, an Exercise Physiologist and a Registered Psychologist/Psychotherapist
- Supplementary material from your team, which could include articles, handouts, apps, etc that will serve as a reference guide and assist you in your long-term weight maintenance and health.
2. À la Carte Program:
Understanding that we all have individual needs when it comes to addressing weight and lifestyle change, we also offer the option of building your own program that will suit your specific needs. The à la carte option gives you the flexibility to work with members of the team best suited to help you achieve your optimal weight and health-related goals. The à la carte program includes all or some combination of visits with the Case Manager, Registered Dietitian, Exercise Physiologist and Registered Psychologist/Psychotherapist. Please speak to the program Case Manager about building your own à la carte program.
Extended Program Options
On average, it takes between 3-24 months for new behaviours to be established as habits. We recognize that completing either our Comprehensive Program or our A la Carte Program is the launching point to developing and solidifying healthy lifestyle habits for your weight and overall health. Our purpose is to support you in creating and sustaining a new lifestyle that allows you achieve your health and weight goals. We are happy to offer a variety of personalized options to extend your program. Please speak with your Case Manager about these options.
How to Reach Us
For more information, please contact:
Laura Vermander, RD
Weight and Lifestyle Management Program Case Manager