What is a pre-transplant evaluation?
- A pre-transplant evaluation includes a complete physical, consultations with members of the Renal Transplant Team and a series of tests.
Why do I need a pre-transplant evaluation?
- A pre-transplant evaluation provides complete information about your overall health prior to renal transplant.
- The evaluation helps the Renal Transplant Team identify any potential problems. Then, the Renal Transplant Team can take steps to prevent any problems before the transplant surgery and avoid potential complications after the renal transplant surgery.
Before your appointment
Before your pre-transplant evaluation, a letter will be sent to you and your physician to gather important information about your medical condition. Your physician must send the following information (contact information is detailed in letter) before you are evaluated by the Transplant Team:
- An up-to-date history and physical
- Include height and weight (must have BMI < 35 at the time of transplant)
- Include a note describing the compliance level (could be a social worker note)
- Current labwork - including a metabolic panel
- If patient is not on dialysis, a creatinine clearance or GFR level within 6 mos.
- Kidney biopsy report (if already done)
- Patients >50 yrs old, diabetics >20 yrs, or known CAD will need
- Stress testing within the last year (Dobutamine Stress Echo preferred)
- Negative stool guiacs
- For patient > 50 yrs old, a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy within the last 3 to 5 yrs.
- Immunization record including hepatitis, ppd to r/o tuberculosis (if reaction then chest X-ray), pneumovax (within 5 yrs)
- Abdominal/renal ultrasound
- All females - Normal PAP within the year (unless h/o total hysterectomy)
- If > 40 years old or family history of breast cancer, normal mammogram 0
- All males > 50 years old (if African American, > 40 years old
* Any other studies pertinent to the patient’s health status.
Upon receipt of the test results, you will be notified that we can now schedule the Cleveland Clinic kidney transplant team for the evaluation. We look forward to working together with you in preparing your patient for a kidney transplant.
- Please notify your insurance company of your pre-transplant evaluation appointment with Cleveland Clinic’s Transplant Center.
- Make sure your insurance company will provide coverage for the pre-transplant evaluation. (Many insurance companies will only provide coverage at specified centers.)
- Also, please ask your insurance company about post-renal transplant medication coverage.
- More information about insurance coverage will be provided the day of your pre-transplant evaluation appointment.
For More Information
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 216.444.6996 or 800.223.2273 x46996. We will be happy to answer your questions.