Sharon E. Mace, MD, FACEP, FAAP, has over 28 years of full-time clinical, administrative and academic emergency medicine practice and is board-certified in emergency medicine and pediatrics.
She is the author/editor of a textbook on Emergency Department Procedural Sedation and Pain Management. In addition, she has authored over 100 articles in medical journals and over 30 textbook chapters in emergency medicine textbooks.
Dr. Mace lectures nationally and internationally on emergency medicine. She serves as reviewer for several medical journals and emergency medicine publications, including Academic Emergency Medicine, Emergency Medicine News and Critical Decisions in Emergency Medicine. She is the recipient of several local and national research grants.
Dr. Mace has held administrative positions as Director of an emergency department at a community hospital and Emergency Medical Services Medical Director, Director of 911 for the City of Rochester and Monroe County and Medical Consultant for New York State Department of Health.
Leader in Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Board-certified in emergency medicine and pediatrics
Chaired multiple positions and held multiple appointments at a national level with respect to pediatric emergency medicine including:
- Chair, Pediatric Emergency Medicine Committee, American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP -- National)
- Chair, Section of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, National ACEP
- National Representative to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Section of Emergency Medicine, ACEP
- National Representative to AAP Committee on Pediatric Emergency Medicine, ACEP
- Pediatric Subcommittee, Emergency Care Committee, American Heart Association
Lectured nationally and internationally on pediatric emergency medicine, including:
- Ohio ACEP Emergency Medicine Review Course, "Pediatric Medical Illnesses - Respiratory Illnesses," Columbus, Ohio, September 25, 2007
- Ohio ACEP Emergency Medicine Review Course, "Pediatric Medical Illnesses - Neurologic and Infectious Illnesses," Columbus, Ohio, September 25, 2007
- ACEP Scientific Assembly, “Pediatric Procedures Lab,” New Orleans, La., October 16, 2006
- Third National Congress on Childhood Emergencies, "Pediatric Asthma," Dallas
Leader in Observation Medicine
Elected and appointed to several positions of leadership with respect to observation medicine, peer-reviewed articles written, lectured internationally as well as nationally, and had research funding in the area of observation medicine including but not limited to:
- Chair, Section of Observation Medicine, National ACEP Observation Medicine Committee, Society of Hospital Medicine, July 2007-Present
- Director, Observation Unit, Cleveland Clinic
- Research grant: "A Survey of Observation Medicine," Principle Investigator
- Mace SE, Shah J. Observation Medicine in Emergency Medicine Residency Programs. Academic Emergency Medicine, 9(2): 169-171, 2002.
- Mace SE, Graff L, Mikhail M, Ross M. A National Survey of Observation Units in the United States. American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 21(7): 529-533, 2003.
- Society of Hospital Medicine, "The Operation of an Observation Unit," Chicago, Ill., July 19, 2007
- Re-Engineering the Patient Experience: "Tackling Observation to Create the Best Possible Experience," Washington, D.C., August 8, 2007
- Observation Status Symposium, "Setting Up an Observation Unit at the Cleveland Clinic," Chicago, Ill., September 6, 2007
- Observation Status Symposium, "Managing Observation Status with Third-Party Payors," Chicago
Leader in Pain Management and Procedural Sedation
- Chaired international symposium on pain management
- Lectured nationally and internationally on the topic
- Awarded several research grants on sedation and analgesia in the emergency department
- Edited medical book, Mace SE, Ducharme J, Murphy MF (eds). Pain Management and Sedation Emergency Department Management. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2006
- Written many textbook chapters on pain management and sedation
Leader in Emergency Airway/Respiratory Diseases
- Chaired conferences on airway procedures
- Participated in procedure labs at a national level on pediatric airway procedures
- Lectured nationally and internationally on airway/respiratory topics
- Written textbook chapters on airway/respiratory diseases
- Editor of upcoming "Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America," "Challenges and Advances in Airway Management" to be published in 2008 by Elsevier
- Author of numerous textbook chapters on airway/respiratory topics