Treatment & Services
- Arthritic Knee Conditions
- Arthritis Surgery
- Complex Primary Hip Arthroplasty
- Complex Primary Knee Arthroplasty
- Fracture Non-union
- Hip & Knee Surgery
- Hip Replacement
- Hip Revision
- Joint Preserving Hip Surgery
- Joint Reconstruction
- Joint Replacement
- Joint Replacement Of The Knee
- Knee Arthroplasty
- Knee Revision
- Minimally Invasive Hip Joint Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Knee Joint Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Primary And Revision Joint Replacements
- Primary And Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty
- Primary And Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Reconstructive Surgery Of The Hip
- Reconstructive Surgery Of The Knee
- Revision Hip Arthroplasty
- Revision Hip Joint Replacement
- Revision Joint Replacement
- Revision Knee Arthroplasty
- Revision Knee Joint Replacement
- Revision Total Hip Replacement
- Revision Total Knee Replacement
- Surgical Treatment Of Arthritis Of The Hips And Knees
- Total Knee Replacement
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Arthritic Knee Problems
- Arthritis Of The Hip
- Arthritis Of The Knee
- Avascular Necrosis Of The Hip
- Avascular Necrosis Of The Knee
- Hip Replacement
- Knee Injuries
- Knee Pain
- Osteoarthritis Of The Hips And Knees In The Elderly
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Weill Cornell Medical, Hospital for Special Surgery
New York, NY USA
Fellowship - Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
New York, NY USA
Residency - University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Dallas, TX USA
Internship - University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Dallas, TX USA
Medical School - Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Chicago, IL USA
Undergraduate - University of Illinois Hospital at Urbana-Champaign
Urbana, IL USA
- Director, Orthopaedic and Rheumatologic Research Center, 2005-Present
- Director, Clinical Tissue Engineering Center (CTEC), 2005-Present
- Vice Chairman, Department of Biomedical Engineering, 2004-Present
- Vice Chairman for Research, Cleveland Clinic Orthopaedic and Rheumatologic Institute, 2007-Present
- Co-Director, Armed Forces Institute for Regenerative Medicine (AFIRM), 2007-Present
- Orthopaedic Surgery
Joint replacement surgery, treatment of fracture non-unions and avascular necrosis, research in regenerative tissue engineering, adult stem cell biology, health care quality assessment
Awards & Honors
- North American Traveling Fellowship, American Orthopaedic Association, 1989
- Career Development Award, Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation, 1990-1992
- J.P Ranney Award for Innovation in Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research, 2006
- Clevelands Best Doctors, <em>Northern Ohio Live </em>magazine, 2007
Innovations & Patents
- Innovator in both implant design for joint surgery and limb reconstruction, as well as in the application of biological principles to the regeneration of new tissues, particularly bone.
- Responsible for over nine patents and recognized as inventor of the concept of selective retention as a means of rapidly concentrating and delivering a patient's own stem cells for use in tissue-healing applications. This is the basis for the Cellect TM Device, that has now been used in treatment of over 50,000 patients worldwide for bone repair following spine surgery or fractures.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons
- International Society for Tissue Engineering
- International Society for Stem Cell Research
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 6/11/2016, Dr. Muschler has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
94 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.9|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
13 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Dec 5, 2016
Dr. Muschler is the best of the best in all respects.
Reviewed on Nov 28, 2016
Everyone in all areas of the Clinic were very friendly and helpful. I especially liked Dr. Muschler's calm demeanor. In the days leading up to my appointment, I was very nervous and apprehensive about what I might find out about the treatment I would need, but he put me at ease right away with his knowledge of my problem.
Reviewed on Sep 26, 2016
Reviewed on Sep 22, 2016
Dr. Muschler is excellent!
Reviewed on Jul 21, 2016
Dr. Muschler is excellent - would highly recommend him.
Reviewed on Jul 14, 2016
Reviewed on Jul 11, 2016
A very thorough exam. I was extremely satisfied with the results. I have complete confidence in the Cleveland Clinic and the doctor in question.
Reviewed on Jun 15, 2016
I cannot imagine a more considerate, competent and professional physician than Dr. George Muschler.
Reviewed on May 16, 2016
Everyone was professional and courteous.
Reviewed on May 7, 2016
Dr. Muschler is the very best in all aspects of patient care.
Reviewed on Apr 25, 2016
I was very impressed with his breadth of attention to the aspects of my condition and the profundity of his advice to me.
Reviewed on Feb 10, 2016
Dr. Muschler is the best in all aspects of patient care.
Reviewed on Feb 4, 2016
© 2016 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.