Treatment & Services
- Administration Of Injectable Medications For Osteoporosis
- Adult Rheumatology
- Blood Tests
- Bone Density Testing
- General Rheumatology
- Infusion Therapy
- Infusions Of Biologic Agents On Site
- Joint Aspiration
- Joint Injections
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Metabolic Bone Disease
- Metabolic Diseases
- Osteoporosis in Men
- Paget's Disease
- Steroid-Induced Osteoporosis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - University Hospitals of Cleveland
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Mount Sinai Medical Center (Closed)
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - Mount Sinai Medical Center (Closed)
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical School - Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Cleveland, OH USA
Undergraduate - Kirkland College
Clinton, NY USA
- Harvard-Macy Program for Educators in the Health Professions January -May 2008
- International Society for Clinical Densitometry Certification
- Chair, Department of Rheumatic and Immunologic Diseases, Cleveland Clinic
- Interim Chair, Department of Rheumatic and Immunologic Diseases, Cleveland Clinic
- Vice Chair for Education, Orthopaedic and Rheumatology Institute, Cleveland Clinic
- Recipient, Clinical Scholar Education Award, American College of Rheumatology, Research and Education Foundation
- Member, Committee on Training and Workforce, American College of Rheumatology
- Chair, Subcommittee of the Academic Workforce, America College of Rheumatology
- Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
metabolic bone diseases, Osteoporosis
Awards & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 1979.
- Alice Paige Cleveland Award for "Outstanding Leadership Qualities," CWRU School of Medicine 1979.
- Selected for inclusion in Best Doctors in America. Woodward/White, Inc. August, 1998, 2000, 2001-2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Selected for inclusion in Guide to Top Doctors. Center for the Study of Services. 1998, 2001.
- Selected Participant in the Harvard Macy Institute's Program for Educators in the Healthcare Professions. Cambridge, Massachusetts, January - May 2008
- Interim Chair, Department of Rheumatic and Immunologic Diseases-5/08 to present.
- American College of Rheumatology Research and Education Foundation Clinical Scholar Educator Award 7/08 -6/10.
- American College of Rheumatology
- International Society of Clinical Densitometry
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 7/12/2016, Dr. Abelson has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
98 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||5|
|Knows Medical History||5|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
7 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Feb 9, 2017
Dr Abelson is always excellent about working collaboratively with me to understand & manage my illness.
Reviewed on Feb 6, 2017
Dr. Abby M Abelson MD, took the time with us to answer any and all questions. She is extremely professional. Even though this was a first visit with her, you would have thought we had seen her many times before, she knew my mothers history and current health record before hand. She did her homework. Dr. Abelson is a compassionate caring doctor. She even called after hours (on a Sunday) to discuss test results and follow up. EXCELLENT not many Dr's do this.
Reviewed on Jan 26, 2017
I got the appointment time wrong and was late for my visit. Thankfully, Dr. Abelson kindly made time in her busy schedule to see me.
Reviewed on Jan 26, 2017
My last appointment with Dr. Abelson, she was very clear explaing my condition and the decision about my medication.
Reviewed on Jun 20, 2016
Dr Abelson is a very compassionate easy to talk to Dr. She listens.
Reviewed on May 5, 2016
Dr. Abelson saw me promptly and was an excellent listener. She created a thorough and detailed case history documenting my medical issues. in order to make sure I didn't have underlying problems blood, urine, and radiology tests were ordered. My results came back in record time and I am able to view the results myself on "My Chart". This experience has been highly professional and and gives me the ability to use the data to make better decisions.
Reviewed on Mar 24, 2016
Dr. Abelson is wonderful. She shows genuine concern and is in my opinion, the best. I have seen other doctors and she was the only one who finally helped me with my situation giving me relief from the pain I was suffering with.
© 2017 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.