Treatment & Services
- Argon Plasma Coagulation (APC)
- Gastrointestinal Exams
- Gi Endoscopy
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
- Pouch Center
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Crohn's Disease
- Esophageal Varices
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Pouch Diseases
- Ulcerative Colitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - University of Illinois Hospital at Urbana-Champaign
Urbana, IL USA
Medical School - Nan-tong Medical College
- Nantong Medical College, China, 1982
- Nantong Medical College Graduate School, 1987
- Nantong Medical College Hospital, Medical Residency, Chief Residency, 1984-1987
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana, Medical Residency, 1995-1998
- Cleveland Clinic, Gastroenterology Fellowship, Chief Fellowship, 1998-2001
- Premier Physician Award, CCFA Northeast Ohio Chapter
- Physician of the Year Award, Department of Gastroenterology, Cleveland Clinic
- NIH R03 Award for studying pouch disorders
- Broad Foundation-BMRP Grant
- ACG Career Development Award
Crohn's Disease, GI endoscopy and imaging technology, IBD including ulcerative colitis and crohn's, inflammatory bowel disease, Pouchitis and Pouch Diseases
Awards & Honors
- Graduated with honors, Nantong Medical College, China, 1982
- Graduated with honors from graduate school, Nantong Medical College, China, 1987
- Chinese Academy of Science Research Award, 1987
- Intern of the Year Award, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana, 1996
- Secretary and Treasurer, House-Staff Association, University of Illinois at Urbana, 1996-1997
- American College of Gastroenterology Clinical Research Award, 2000
- American College of Gastroenterology/Astra-Zeneca Senior Fellow Award, New York, N.Y., 2000
- Multiple President Poster Awards, Annual ACG meetings, 2000-
- Multiple Best Poster Awards, DDW, 2000-
- American College of Gastroenterology/Astra-Zeneca Senior Fellow Award, Las Vegas, Nev., 2001
- American College of Gastroenterology/Centocor IBD Abstract Award, Las Vegas, Nev., 2001
- American College of Gastroenterology Junior Faculty Career Development Award, 2003
- American College of Gastroenterology Clinical Research Award, 2003
- REGAL Award for research excellence in gastroenterology and hepatology, Scottsdale, Ariz., 2003
- Cleveland Clinic Quest for Quality Award, 2004
- Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology, 2004
- Co-Chair, Research Forum-IBD, DDW, Chicago, Ill., 2005
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2005
- Section editor, Journal of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, 2006-
Editorial board, Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 2006-
- Emerging Leaders in Gastroenterology, Sweden, 2007
- Premier Physician Award, Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America, Northeast Ohio Chapter, 2008
- Physician of the Year Award, Department of Gastroenterology/Hepatology/Nutrition, Cleveland Clinic, 2007
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 11/30/2016, Dr. Shen has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Shen receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- AbbVie, Inc.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
265 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.7|
|Knows Medical History||4.6|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.3|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.7|
16 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Jan 25, 2017
Dr. Bo Shen is a wonderful doctor. Cleveland Clinic and staff are to be commended for the delivery of services and care.
Reviewed on Jan 20, 2017
Dr Shen is a competent and caring Doctor and Physician
Reviewed on Jan 19, 2017
Dr Shen does an excellent job involving me in the decision making process and explaining to me why he is making a decision.
Reviewed on Jan 11, 2017
Dr. Shen is definitely an expert in the field!
Reviewed on Dec 30, 2016
after procedure Dr Shen seemed more concerned about getting to next procedure than answering our questions. I'm sure if something were really wrong he would be great, but for routine post scope care, his bedside manner is lacking.
Reviewed on Dec 16, 2016
No detailed discussion was had after the procedure other than, "looks like an improvement and continue with the Entyvio infusions".
Reviewed on Dec 16, 2016
He did include me in decisions, but his way of explaining things can be confusing or hard to follow.
Reviewed on Nov 30, 2016
dr Shen is great
Reviewed on Sep 16, 2016
Dr. Shen and all of the staff who helped me with my procedure were wonderful!
Reviewed on Sep 15, 2016
The doctor had me sign an electronic waiver pad right before my procedure. No explanation was given.
Reviewed on Sep 9, 2016
Dr. Shen is the best. I live in Washington, DC, and have travelled to see Dr. Shen for about 4 years now. Dr. Shen's treatments have saved me from having major risky surgery. I recommend Dr. Shen to anyone I speak with who needs the best gastroenterologist there is.
Reviewed on Sep 8, 2016
I'm traveling from Dallas, TX to see Dr. Shen because of his reputation as an expert in the health issues I have. He has been truly a blessing for me in that he has given me a diagnosis and a clear understanding of what I deal with along with a course of action to where I can help myself have a better life.
Reviewed on Jun 10, 2016
I fly to Dr Shen at great personal expense and sacrifice. it is with every penny. I wouldn't go anywhere else.
Reviewed on Jun 7, 2016
As II said before, I have never dealt with a specialist in the Soave pouch arena as good as Dr. Shen. He was kind, caring and extremely knowledgeable. he is at the top of his game.
Reviewed on May 17, 2016
I was extremely please beyond any expectations. Dr. Shen, his nurse, and everyone I came in contact with were very helpful and professional. Since I traveled from Dallas I especially appreciate their making time to fit me in for all procedures needed. Every step of my day way on-time. Thanks for making a difficult experience so positive.
Reviewed on Apr 12, 2016
Doctor showed confidence about tests and planned procedure to resolve my problem.
© 2017 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.