Treatment & Services
- Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation Services
- Spinal Injections
- Ultrasound-guided Procedures
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Back Pain in Athletes
- Hallux Rigidus
- Hip Pain
- Knee Injuries
- Knee Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Shoulder Problems
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Sports Injuries
Is Cleveland Clinic Florida Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Florida locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Mayo Clinic
Physiatric Sports Medicine
Rochester, MN USA
Residency - Mayo Clinic
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Rochester, MN USA
Internship - Riverside Methodist Hospital
Columbus, OH USA
Medical School - The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health
Columbus, OH USA
Undergraduate - Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH USA
- International Spinal Intervention Society Phase 1 Lumbar injection course 2004
- International Spinal Intervention Society Phase 3 Cervical injection course 2006
- AIUM Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Course 2008
- AAPMR Ultrasound Course 2009
- Gulf Coast Advance Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Course 2012
- Cleveland Clinic Ultrasound Workshop/Course - (Served as Course Director) 2013-Present
- MetroHealth/CWRU PM&R Chair Award for Teaching 2006, 2008
- MetroHealth/CWRU PM&R Chair Award for Clinical Care 2008
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Director of Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation 2010-present
Musculoskeletal medicine, joint pains, ultrasound-guided and fluoroscopic guided injections, viscosupplement injections, sports medicine, medical education
Awards & Honors
- Case School of Engineering - Kent Hale Smith Award 1994
- Case School of Engineering - Mark Berstein Award 1994
- Ohio State University Outstanding Student in PM&R 1998
- Mayo Clinic Dept of PM&R Chief Resident 2002
- Cleveland Magazine's Top Doctors Award 2009, 2010
- CWRU Residency Teacher of the Year Award 2006, 2008, 2009
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Association of Academic Psychiatrists
- American College of Sports Medicine
- International Spinal Intervention Society
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 8/2/2016, Dr. Schaefer has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
142 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.8|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
6 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Mar 2, 2017
clear, helpful, timely
Reviewed on Feb 16, 2017
Dr. Schaefer is a great communicate and listener and explains in terms that are easily understood.
Reviewed on Nov 23, 2016
Reviewed on Aug 31, 2016
He is the best and most knowledgeable
Reviewed on Aug 8, 2016
Reviewed on Apr 4, 2016
nothing negative to say about Dr Schaefer. always explains everything clearly. shows patience, and great manner
© 2017 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.