Athletes with established cardiovascular disease or those at risk have specific goals and objectives in mind.
- They want to continue to play their sport
- They want to be safe
The objective of the Sports Cardiology Center is to work with any athlete along the spectrum - professional athletes, recreational exercisers, to weekend warriors to help them achieve these goals.
The Center provides
- Timely and comprehensive individual and sport specific cardiovascular assessment
- Patient-centered counseling on lifestyle, prevention, nutrition and training
- Advanced imaging techniques to insure accurate diagnosis and treatment plans
- The highest quality of cardiovascular medical or surgical care at the top ranked heart center in the United States
Official Healthcare Provider
of the Cleveland Cavaliers
Preferred Healthcare Provider
of the Cleveland Indians
Patients come to the Sports Cardiology Center for a variety of reasons such as:
- Abnormal sports screening pre-participation questionnaire
- Abnormal findings on EKG, echocardiogram, exercise stress test
- Signs of heart disease found during a routine exam (such as a murmur)
- New onset symptoms with training or during competition (such as dizziness/syncope, chest discomfort, shortness of breath or palpitations)
- Unexplained decline in sports performance
- Congenital heart or vascular disease
- Risk factors or family history of cardiovascular disease or sudden cardiac death
- Advice on regaining athletic performance after a medical or surgical treatment
- Clearance to return to athletic participation after an event or treatment
- Older or untrained individuals who wish to return to athletic activity or play a sport
No referral is necessary unless your insurance requires you to have one.
The Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology Center offers a multi-disciplinary team of specialists in cardiology, vascular medicine, heart and vascular surgery, pulmonary medicine, genetics, orthopedics, psychology, nutrition and athletic performance.
Dermot Phelan, MD, PhD
Section of Imaging
- Peter Aziz, MD - Cardiovascular Medicine, Section of Pediatric Cardiology
- Bryan Baranowski, MD - Cardiac Electrophysiology & Pacing
- Gordon Blackburn, PhD - Preventive Cardiology & Rehabilitation
- Lon Castle, MD - Cardiac Electrophysiology & Pacing
- Leslie Cho, MD - Preventive Cardiology & Rehabilitation
- Brian Griffin, MD - Cardiovascular Medicine, Section of Imaging
- Rick Grimm, DO - Cardiovascular Medicine, Section of Imaging
- Donald Hammer, MD - Cardiovascular Medicine, Section of Clinical Cardiology
- Fredrick Jaeger, DO - Syncope and Autonomic Disorders
- Harry Lever, MD - Cardiovascular Medicine, Section of Imaging
- David Majdalany, MD - Cardiovascular Medicine, Section of Imaging
- Dermot Phelan, MD, PhD - Cardiovascular Medicine, Section of Imaging
- Ellen Mayer Sabik, MD - Cardiovascular Medicine, Section of Imaging
- Chad Raymond, DO - Cardiovascular Medicine
- Kenneth Zahka, MD - Cardiovascular Medicine, Section of Pediatric Cardiology
- William Polinski, DO - Cardiovascular Medicine, Wooster Family Health Center
Cleveland Clinic Sports Health is a unique center within the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and part of the Sports Cardiology team.
- Kate Patton RD - Preventive Cardiology & Rehabilitation
- Julia Zumpano RD - Preventive Cardiology & Rehabilitation
To make an appointment, please call toll-free 800.659.7822 Cardiology Appointments or Request an Appointment online.
Physician Referrals - Call 800-659-7822 (or call physicians’ office directly).
Traveling to Cleveland Clinic
When you make your appointment, we would like to make traveling to Cleveland Clinic as easy as possible.
Toll-free 800.223.2273, ext. 49162 for evaluations for medical management or pulmonary vein isolation procedures
Toll-free 877.843.2781 (877.8Heart1) for evaluations for surgical treatment for atrial fibrillation, including minimally invasive techniques combined with other heart surgery procedures
Go to Desk J1 - 5, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio.
Use our secure online form to submit an appointment request 24/7. We will receive it and follow-up with you as soon as possible.
Mon. - Fri., 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (ET):
toll-free 800.223.2273, ext. 49162
Before your appointment
If you are scheduled at least one week away, you will be asked to send in your records, including medical history, test results and films (such as echocardiogram, chest x-ray, MRI or CT as applicable). You may also be asked to submit your training logs. All information should be sent in the same package (clearly marked with your name and address) via Airborne Express, Federal Express, or certified U.S. mail (make sure you have a tracking number) to the physician with which you have an appointment. The address is:
Sport’s Cardiology Center,
9500 Euclid Avenue – Desk J1-5
Cleveland, OH 44195
If you are scheduled less than one week out, please bring your records to your appointment.
During your appointment
You will meet with a nurse who will collect your information, and begin the documentation process.
You will receive these tests: basic blood test, electrocardiogram, specialized echocardiogram and chest x-ray. Further testing will be tailored to your presenting complaint and findings at the time of your evaluation. These may include: cardiac MRI or CT, exercise stress test/cardiopulmonary testing, tilt table, arrhythmia monitoring, EP studies or cardiac catheterization.
You will meet with a sports cardiologist who will review your records and medical history, do a physical examination, discuss your test results with you and provide you with an assessment as well as an individualized care plan and recommendations.
If you need to meet with one of the other multi-disciplinary specialists, they will be consulted in one - two days.
After your appointment
This will be tailored to your specific cardiovascular condition, treatment strategies and competitive needs. Most follow-up will be done in six months to one year or as needed. There is an opportunity for telephone follow-up as well. If you require treatment interventions, devices or drug therapy titration the follow-up may be more frequent.
To make an appointment with the Sports Cardiology Center - Call toll free 800.659.7822.
If you need more information, click here to contact us, chat online with a nurse or call the Miller Family Heart and Vascular Institute Resource & Information Nurse at 216.445.9288 or toll-free at 866.289.6911. We would be happy to help you.