Improving your hearing can be an expensive proposition. Medical insurance companies often provide little to no coverage for hearing instruments. There are, however, other options for people who cannot afford the cost of hearing aids or hearing assistance technology.
A variety of places offer financial assistance including local, state, federal, and corporate programs as well as various charitable organizations.
Many people who receive public assistance or who meet certain financial criteria are eligible for financial help. If you are already receiving assistance through an Ohio Medicaid program, you may be eligible for funds to cover hearing testing and amplification. Each Medicaid program has its own rules, however, so be sure the facility you choose is registered with your insurance as an authorized service provider. If you or your family member has Medicare, testing fees are typically covered. Unfortunately, Medicare does not currently offer coverage for hearing aids.
- Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission/Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (BVR)
- Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps (BCMH)
- Veterans Administration – contact your local VA hospital or office for more information.
- Health insurance provider, union, or employer may provide funds for audiological testing or amplification.
- Flexible spending account would allow you to buy hearing aids prior to being taxed.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may enable you to obtain amplification or hearing assistance technology if it is required for your job.
Some social service organizations offer financial assistance to people with hearing loss who are interested in obtaining amplification or hearing assistance technology. The list below contains some organizations that may offer such assistance. Contact their local chapters for more information.
- Hear Now
- Kiwanis Clubs
- Lions Club International
- March of Dimes
- National Easter Seals
- Rotary Club
- Sertoma Clubs
- Quota International
Schedule an Appointment Online
Call us for an Appointment
To find a head and neck specialist for your needs, contact the Head & Neck Institute at 216.444.8500 (or toll-free 1.800.223.2273, ext. 48500)