We understand how difficult a cancer diagnosis can be.
If you, or someone you care about, has been diagnosed with cancer, it can be a frightening and challenging time for all concerned. It is a time for
- learning how to live with uncertainty and varying levels of distress
- discovering as much as you can about the people and resources needed to manage your illness
- keeping your relationships strong
- coping as well as you can throughout the experience.
Oncology social workers at Cleveland Clinic Cancer Center are licensed professionals. They are skilled in addressing the counseling, support and advocacy needs of patients with cancer and their families.
If you have an issue you would like to discuss, call 216.444.6552 and ask to meet with a social worker.
Counseling can help you or a loved one
- adjust to the diagnosis of cancer
- communicate with children, family and doctors
- cope with changes in self-image and sexuality
- access crisis intervention
- find caregiver support
- arrange for grief counseling
- gain referrals to other mental health providers.
Support provides you with
- referrals to community resources
- confidential outreach from a cancer survivor
- referrals for spiritual support, nutrition counseling and complementary therapies
- referrals for home health care, palliative care and hospice.
Advocacy helps you and your family
- navigate the health care system
- address financial, insurance, disability and employment concerns
- access needed prescriptions
- explore transportation options
- arrange school intervention for adults or children
- discuss advance care planning--living will/durable power of attorney for healthcare.
Cancer Answers & Appointments
Speak with a cancer nurse specialist for appointment assistance and for answers to your questions about cancer locally at 216.444.7923 or toll-free 1.866.223.8100.
Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (ET).
Resources for medical professionals
- Outpatient appointment referrals: 216.444.7923 or 866.223.8100
- Inpatient hospital transfers: 800.553.5056
- Referring Physician Concierge: 216.444.6196 or 216.312.4910.
Search available cancer clinical trials by disease, hospital, phase or number.