The Department of General Anesthesiology is the largest clinical department within the Anesthesiology Institute. We provide a wide range of professional services and staffing for more than 60 anesthetizing sites, including:
- Out-of-OR locations in interventional radiology, MRI, gamma knife, electrophysiology laboratory, bronchoscopy suites, GI endoscopy suites, outpatient surgery and ophthalmologic surgery
- 52 non-cardiac operating rooms on main campus
- The new Special Delivery Unit on main campus
Our clinical expertise spans:
- State-of-the-art regional anesthesia techniques (e.g., catheter techniques and TAP blocks)
- Anesthesia for high-acuity surgery (e.g., major neurological and vascular surgery)
- Perioperative services for one of the country's busiest liver and intestinal transplantation programs
- Anesthesia for ENT, general and colorectal surgery, as well as bariatric, urological, obstetric and gynecological procedures
Departmental staff members provide the majority of teaching for the institute's core program residents and student nurse anesthetists. Fellowships are offered in neuroanesthesia, liver transplantation and out-of-OR anesthesia, a new, innovative and unique program.
Within this past year, members of the department have:
- Authored three books, including a standard-setting text on anesthesia for otolaryngologic surgery
- Filed five patent applications
- Pioneered the development and deployment of novel Clinical Decision Support System (DSS) technology which is being commercialized through a newly formed Cleveland Clinic spin-off, Advanced Clinical Guidance, LLC. This innovative technology is meant to "Bring Evidence-Based Medicine to the Bedside" by helping prioritize the right information at the right time in the right location and increasing awareness of each patient's clinical condition in real time.