Cleveland Clinic Sports Health Continuum
PTS is a part of Cleveland Clinic's sports health continuum. Unfortunately, even with preventative measures, injuries can occur. When they do, PTS coaches work with Cleveland Clinic Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy to keep you in the game.
These aren’t your ordinary specialists. These are experts trained and focused solely on athletic assessment, treatment and improvement:
- Primary care sports medicine physicians
- Orthopaedic surgeons
- Physical therapists
- Exercise physiologists
You don’t get this with off-the-shelf programs. Cleveland Clinic means access to cutting-edge technologies and expert experience.
To train is to develop or enhance. As an athlete, you compete and are always looking for ways to improve your performance.
PTS has developed sport-specific training programs tailored to improve athleticism, enhance performance in competition, and reduce risk of injury specific to your sport. Train Right offers sports-specific evaluations and training plans for a full range of sports, including:
- Running Sports
- Figure skating
What We Offer
Our team’s emphasis is on providing multi-disciplinary and comprehensive training activities to help athletes reach their ultimate
Train Right - Initial Evaluation (2 visits/60 min each) - $110
All Train Right programs begin with an initial evaluation
Private, in-person comprehensive functional movement evaluation in a clinical environment
- Pre and post basic strength and function testing
- Review of health history and lifestyle information
- Discussion of personal training goals
- Receive some basic exercises
Our Train Right experts develop a comprehensive training plan and prepare competitive strategies backed by evidence-based research to maximize your results. Your Train Right specialist provides you with:
- Your complete fitness and performance summary
- Goal-specific training recommendations
- Receive your training plan (Detailed exercises and customized workouts with step-by-step instructions)
- Initial in-person training session and options for continued guidance
Follow-up Training Sessions (1 visit/60 min)
Personalized in-person follow up sessions for individual or small groups (3 or less)
Our Train Right experts will coordinate your in-depth training sessions, with any current structured team training programs to avoid overtraining, and reduce risk of injury. Plus, they monitor and adjust your personalized plan as needed to meet your performance goals.
Average number of sessions varies by athlete and are based on goals and capability of athletes.
Training Plan characteristics to
- Improve individual’s athleticism
- Improve agility, range of motion and balance
- Refine mental attitude
- Increase aerobic capacity
- Understand the science behind performance
- Learn competitive strategies
Strength-Building & Functional Fitness
- Machine and free weight resistance
- Power lifting, Olympic lifts
- Plyometric routines to build explosive power moves
- Balance and coordination for the combative contact athlete
- Drills for fast feet
- Exercises for massive grip strength and bulldozer-strength legs
Assessments and Analysis
Depending on athletes goals and PTS specialists may recommend additional testing and analysis.
Bio-Mechanical video Analysis (2 visits/30 minutes per visit)
High-speed video to measure sports-related motion or technique assists in assessing performance of the athlete in their specific sport. Identifies the characteristics for peak performance and or cautionary flags that hinder performance and lead to injury. We break down the movement sequence and useful for pinpoint weakness and correcting problems with an athlete's technique.
Available for the following sports-related motion or techniques: a runners gait, a pitchers throwing motion, a golfers golf swing, or a volleyball/basketball players vertical or horizontal jump, squatting technique
Train Right athletes can benefit from Bio-Mechanical video Analysis by assessing performance of the athlete in their specific sport used to help detect flaws that hinder performance or could lead to injury.
Comprehensive video analysis of the running gait is used to assist in assessing performance of the runner. From this analysis, running techniques, strengthening and stretching exercises, and advice on proper shoe selection can be given to help improve a runner’s form, better his or her time, or prevent injuries.
PTS specialist will:
- Break down the movement sequence to pinpoint weakness
- Review results with athlete
- Incorporate appropriate corrective exercises into existing training plans to correct problems with an athlete's technique to increase performance and reduce risk of injury
To rehabilitate is to restore. An injury can be your worst nightmare, and traditional rehabilitation can only get you so far. Different sports require different movement patterns:
- Most injuries in the baseball and softball players occur in the shoulder and elbow of their throwing arm
- Jumping athletes, like volleyball and basketball players, are prone to ACL injuries because they jump and land repeatedly
- For runners and soccer players, leg strength and positioning is essential
PTS has designed sport-specific rehabilitation programs tailored to your specific movements, based on sport and athletic abilities. Our Sport-Specific Rehab specialists use research-proven methods to rehabilitate your specific injury to get you back into the action and reduce the risk of re-injury.
Sport-Specific Rehab Programs
- Golf Smart - For golfers
- Jump Right - ACL injury prevention program
- Match Fit - For soccer players
- Run Smart - For runners
- Skate Smart - For figure skaters
- Throw Right - For baseball and softball athletes
Our team’s emphasis is on effectively transitioning both nonoperative and surgical patients from rehabilitation to peak athletic performance.
- Begin with a private; in-person comprehensive injury
- Assessment to investigate cause of injury (due to trauma, poor mechanics, overuse or in adequate recovery), review of past medical history, discussion of personal training goals).
- Our Sport-Specific Rehab experts work with you to develop a evidence-based therapy program that includes exercise protocols to restore function, improve mobility, relieve pain and prevent or limit physical disabilities.
- They will coordinate your in-depth therapy sessions, with any current structure team training programs to avoid overtraining, and reduce risk of re-injury. Plus, they monitor and adjust your personalized plan as needed to meet your performance goals.