Good nutrition, especially adequate calories and protein, helps maintain your body's store of protein, provide energy, heal wounds, and fight infection.
What are some basic nutrition guidelines for people with MS?
- Eat a variety of foods from each food group.
- Maintain your weight through a proper balance of exercise and food.
- Choose foods low in saturated fat and cholesterol, unless otherwise directed by your health care provider.
- Try to limit how much sugar you eat.
- Moderate your use of salt.
- If you choose to drink alcoholic beverages, do not consume more than one or two beverages per day. (Always consult with your doctor about alcohol consumption.)
- Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day.
- Limit caffeine consumption.
© 1995-2013 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All rights reserved.
Can't find the health information you’re looking for?
This information is provided by the Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed on: 7/8/2010...#10281