Cleveland Clinic Nursing Excellence Awards Honor Exceptional Nurses
May 17, 2012
As part of National Nurses Week 2012, Cleveland Clinic’s Stanley Shalom Zielony Institute for Nursing Excellence recognized 88 Cleveland Clinic nurses across the health system, which employs 11,000 nurses in inpatient, outpatient, rehabilitation and home care fields.
Since 2002, the Zielony Nursing Institute has honored deserving nurses through its Nursing Excellence Awards program. Award recipients are nominated by health system employees, physicians, patients and volunteers.
“We enhanced the program this year, adjusting award criteria to reflect those outstanding nurses who embody Cleveland Clinic Nursing’s relationship-based care model,” said K. Kelly Hancock, Interim Executive Chief Nursing Officer for Cleveland Clinic and Chief Nursing Officer for Cleveland Clinic Main Campus. “Our model follows a ‘patients first’ care philosophy, enabling nurses to act as serving leaders and put their critical thinking skills into action to provide the best patient care.”
Throughout Nurses Week, numerous nurses were recognized at ceremonies and events held at various Cleveland Clinic locations. The most notable was the inaugural enterprise-wide Nursing Excellence Awards ceremony, which honored 20 of Cleveland Clinic’s most talented nurses with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement and Excellence in the Professional Practice of Nursing awards.
2012 Lifetime Achievement Award Recipients
- Sarah Kiscoe, BSN, RN, Euclid Hospital, Nursing Administration
- Gwen Print, MSN, RN, Fairview Hospital, Progressive Coronary Care Unit
- Christine F. Nelson, MSN, BSN, APRN, Lakewood Hospital, SeniorCare Assessment Center
- Lorann Murphy, MSN, RN, PMHCNS, Lutheran Hospital, Behavioral Health
- Megan M. DiFranco, BSN, RN, Marymount Hospital, Intensive Care Unit
- Brenda Mullenax, RN, Marymount Hospital, Medical/Surgical Unit
- Mary Ann Dominick, MSN, RN, CNP, Main Campus, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Crina V. Floruta, MSN, CNP, CWOCN, Main Campus, Digestive Disease Institute, Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Iyaad M. Hasan, CNP, Main Campus, Taussig Cancer Institute
- Kathleen M. Hill, MSN, RN, CCNS, Main Campus, Surgical Intensive Care Unit
- Jodi Krizmanich, BSN, RN, Main Campus, Respiratory Institute
- Shirley Reed, RN, Solon Family Health Center, Internal Medicine
2012 Professional Practice Model Award Recipients
- Ann N. Hyland, BSN, RN, CAPA, Beachwood Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Carrie Leciejewski, RN, OCN, CHPN, Strongsville Family Health Center, Radiation Oncology
- Laurie M. Gronowski, BSN, RN, CNOR, Beachwood Ambulatory Surgery Center, Operating Room
- Kate Salmon, MSN, RN, IBCLC, Lakewood Hospital Birthing Center
- Lisa Evans, BSN, RN, Lakewood Hospital, Nursing Administration
- Christine Rose, RN, CIC, CMSRN, Lutheran Hospital, Quality Management
- Pamela Mason, MBA, BSN, RN, Main Campus, Medicine Institute
- Linda Schoolcraft Reyes, BSN, RN, CIC, Fairview Hospital, Quality Management, Infection Prevention
Additionally, Malissa Mulkey, MSN, CCNS, CCRN, Neuroscience and Medical Intensive Care Unit Clinical Nurse Specialist, was recognized as Cleveland Clinic’s 2012 Nurse Researcher of the Year.
“Each award recipient has touched patients’ lives, advanced the practice of nursing and fostered teamwork among their peers, colleagues and physicians,” Hancock said. “They truly represent the essence of professional nursing.”
National Nurses Week is celebrated annually from May 6, also known as National Nurses Day, through May 12, the birthday of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing.
About Cleveland Clinic Stanley Shalom Zielony Institute for Nursing Excellence
The Stanley Shalom Zielony Institute for Nursing Excellence, one of 26 institutes at Cleveland Clinic, includes more than 11,000 nurses, 950 of whom are advanced practice nurses. All collaborate to provide high-quality patient care on specialty-based nursing units within inpatient, outpatient and operating room settings at more than a dozen locations in Northeast Ohio, Florida, Nevada, Canada and Abu Dhabi. Cleveland Clinic hospitals strive for Magnet status, the highest recognition of excellence in nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Cleveland Clinic Main Campus was re-designated in 2008 and Fairview Hospital received its designation in 2009. Visit the Zielony Nursing Institute at www.clevelandclinic.org/nursing.
About Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic is a nonprofit multispecialty academic medical center that integrates clinical and hospital care with research and education. Located in Cleveland, Ohio, it was founded in 1921 by four renowned physicians with a vision of providing outstanding patient care based upon the principles of cooperation, compassion and innovation. Cleveland Clinic has pioneered many medical breakthroughs, including coronary artery bypass surgery and the first face transplant in the United States. U.S.News & World Report consistently names Cleveland Clinic as one of the nation’s best hospitals in its annual “America’s Best Hospitals” survey. About 2,800 full-time salaried physicians and researchers and 11,000 nurses represent 120 medical specialties and subspecialties. Cleveland Clinic Health System includes a main campus near downtown Cleveland, eight community hospitals and 18 Family Health Centers in Northeast Ohio, Cleveland Clinic Florida, the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health in Las Vegas, Cleveland Clinic Canada, and opening in 2013, Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi. In 2010, there were 4 million visits throughout the Cleveland Clinic health system and 167,000 hospital admissions. Patients came for treatment from every state and from more than 100 countries. Visit us at www.clevelandclinic.org. Follow us at www.twitter.com/ClevelandClinic.
Tanika Hawley, 216.636.5879, firstname.lastname@example.org