Clinicians, Healthcare Executives and Provider Institutions Explore Solutions to Key Patient Experience Issues
May 7, 2012
Cleveland Clinic’s third annual Patient Experience Summit: Transforming Healthcare through Empathy and Innovation, May 20-22, 2012, will bring together leaders from healthcare, academia and business to address the importance of delivering exceptional clinical outcomes and compassionate, patient-centered care in the most efficient and effective manner possible.
Enhancing the patient experience has been a long-term vision of Cleveland Clinic CEO and President Delos M. “Toby” Cosgrove, MD Cleveland Clinic was one of the first major academic medical centers in the country to establish an Office of Patient Experience and appoint a Chief Experience Officer, as well as the first major academic medical center to host a summit focused solely on patient experience.
“Delivering high quality healthcare requires not only skilled medical expertise, but an environment that promotes healing,” Dr. Cosgrove said. “We strongly believe every dimension of patient care should be measured in order to have the greatest impact. Offering compassion, showing empathy and providing patients with the responsiveness they deserve can improve outcomes and speed recovery.”
The Patient Experience Summit will gather global thought leaders from various disciplines in healthcare, academia and business to solve shared challenges and inspire solutions that will transform the patient experience and elevate customer service as a competitive differentiator. More than 700 people attended Cleveland Clinic’s Patient Experience Summit in 2011, the largest summit of its kind.
The 2012 Patient Experience Summit, sponsored by Johnson & Johnson Health Care Systems Inc., will take place at the InterContinental Hotel & Bank of America Conference Center in Cleveland. The goal of the summit is to engage in a global discussion of patient experience, what it means to the future of healthcare, and how to ensure that patients and families receive the best clinical, emotional and physical experience possible.
Once again, the Patient Experience Summit will offer optional, specialty tracks on nursing and digital media. Occurring simultaneously on Sunday, May 20, the summit will offer specialized content on the role of digital media in modern medicine, as well as sessions on the unique and complex relationship of caregivers and patients.
“We’re excited to offer the specialty tracks for digital media professionals and nurses,” said James Merlino, MD, Chief Experience Officer at Cleveland Clinic. “These sessions will offer in-depth discussion around the roles of digital media and nursing as part of the dynamic exploration of healthcare, communication and compassion.”
NPR Weekend Edition Saturday host Scott Simon, who underwent cervical spine surgery at Cleveland Clinic in January 2010, will return to provide the lunch keynote presentation on May 22.
Featured presenters and topics to be covered include:
- Robert Bazemore, Jr., President, Janssen Biotech, Inc., will deliver a keynote presentation on how making the patient experience an organizational priority is transforming the company’s approach towards generating better health outcomes.
- Patricia Benner, PhD, RN, Professor Emerita at the University of California San Francisco, will offer a keynote presentation on “The Essence of Compassionate Care: The Skilled Use of Empathy.”
- J.T. (Ted) Childs, Global Strategic Diversity Advisor, Ted Childs, LLC, will give a keynote address on “Diversity and Inclusion’s Impact on Employee and Patient Service.”
- Calvin Chou, MD, PhD, Professor of Clinical Medicine, University of California San Francisco School of Medicine, will participate in panel discussion on how to improve physician communication with patients.
- Devin Gross, Chief Executive Officer, Emmi Solutions, will lead a panel discussion of industry leaders on technology’s impact on patient engagement.
- Harley Manning, Vice President and Research Director of Forrester Research will lead a CEO panel discussion on the “Business of Patient Experience.”
- Diedre Mylod, PhD, Vice President of Hospital Services, Press Ganey, will participate in discussions about best practices for employee engagement and patient experience.
Participants will have an opportunity to attend an optional, half-day session on May 23 focused on improving the patient experience in an international environment.
Registration fee for the full conference is $550. The daily fee, which includes the May 20 specialty tracks for healthcare digital media experts and the special agenda for nurses, is $275. To register – or for more information – please visit www.empathyandinnovation.com.
About Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic is a nonprofit multispecialty academic medical center that integrates clinical and hospital care with research and education. Located in Cleveland, Ohio, it was founded in 1921 by four renowned physicians with a vision of providing outstanding patient care based upon the principles of cooperation, compassion and innovation. Cleveland Clinic has pioneered many medical breakthroughs, including coronary artery bypass surgery and the first face transplant in the United States. U.S.News & World Report consistently names Cleveland Clinic as one of the nation’s best hospitals in its annual “America’s Best Hospitals” survey. About 2,800 full-time salaried physicians and researchers and 11,000 nurses represent 120 medical specialties and subspecialties. Cleveland Clinic Health System includes a main campus near downtown Cleveland, eight community hospitals and 18 Family Health Centers in Northeast Ohio, Cleveland Clinic Florida, the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health in Las Vegas, Cleveland Clinic Canada, and opening in 2013, Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi. In 2010, there were 4 million visits throughout the Cleveland Clinic health system and 167,000 hospital admissions. Patients came for treatment from every state and from more than 100 countries. Visit us at www.clevelandclinic.org. Follow us at www.twitter.com/ClevelandClinic.
Stephanie A. Jansky, 216.636.5869, email@example.com