Cleveland Clinic possesses a unique combination of resources and professional development opportunities that enrich the training experience.
Cleveland Clinic is a large academic medical center with:
- More than 1,400 available beds
- 2,800 staff physicians and research scientists
- 1,318 residents and fellows in training
- Nearly 500 medical students rotating through Cleveland Clinic each year
- 16 Family Health and Surgery Centers throughout the Cleveland region
- Cleveland Clinic’s heart program is ranked as the best in the nation, earning the No. 1 ranking in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospitals” survey. Since 1994, no hospital in the country has ranked higher than Cleveland Clinic in cardiac care.
- A large, diverse patient base, with the majority of patients coming from Cuyahoga County. Common medical problems are the norm, with a sufficient volume of unusual referral cases for excellent teaching.
- A closed-book order policy, giving residents the authority to write all orders and assume full responsibility for patient care. There are no “private” attending staff at Cleveland Clinic.
- Our Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University graduated its first class of medical students in 2009. Our residents play an important role in the education and training of these students.
- Ambulatory care experience in outpatient and continuity clinics.
- Innovative resident clinic redesign using a model organized around a patient-centered medical home with an emphasis on population management of chronic illness.
- Excellent research opportunities to promote scholarly activity. All medical residents complete one written project and one oral presentation.
- A weeklong nationally recognized Internal Medicine board review course which senior residents attend at no cost.
- Our program’s 2012 ABIM pass rate was 95% compared to an 85% national average.
- Training at Cleveland Clinic Emergency Department.
- Highly skilled ancillary personnel, including phlebotomy teams IV teams, respiratory therapists, EKG technicians, radiology technicians, and patient transportation.
- Magnet Status for Nursing Excellence from the American Nursing Association testifies to the outstanding caliber of Cleveland Clinic nurses.
- Cleveland Clinic uses electronic medical records in all of their facilities: