Welcome to the Cleveland Clinic Internal Medicine Residency Training Program…
Where Every Resident Receives a Word Class Education!
The Cleveland Clinic Internal Medicine Residency Program provides innovative, comprehensive, and high quality clinical and didactic learning experiences in an academic setting. Caring for a diverse population of patients from around the world, across the state of Ohio, and from our own local neighborhoods exposes our trainees to an unparalleled spectrum of disease. Such diverse training coupled with world renowned experts providing outstanding mentorship and teaching uniquely positions our graduates to successfully pursue academic and clinical careers in general internal medicine or to continue training in one of the subspecialties of internal medicine.
Abby L Spencer MD, MS, FACP
Nationally and internationally recognized for outstanding clinical care, innovative practice, and landmark research, our clinical faculty are full-time clinicians who are deeply committed to mentoring residents in their professional development, teaching and role-modeling exceptional clinical care, and coaching residents to conduct and present high quality research projects. Our academic environment is further enriched by the presence of The Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine students for whom we are the primary training site as well as University Track students from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine who rotate through the Cleveland Clinic. Our residents excel in the vigorous learning environment enriched by the extensive resources offered by the Cleveland Clinic (eg, state of the art simulation center, new expansive resident learning center, rotations in multiple practice settings, renovated call rooms, innovative medical school program, and the Cleveland Clinic Academy courses offered by the Cleveland Clinic Education Institute) and we enthusiastically embrace resident roles as clinical teachers and educational and health care leaders.
Our Residency Mission Statement
Within a supportive, innovative learning environment, the Cleveland Clinic Internal Medicine Residency Program cultivates internists who provide safe, high-quality, and patient-centered care, engage in collaborative relationships, embrace diversity and teamwork, promote health and well-being of self and others, communicate empathically and clearly, demonstrate mindful clinical reasoning, and achieve distinction in clinical care, scholarship, leadership, and commitment to lifelong learning.
We accomplish this mission by ensuring that:
- Patients receive the highest quality care (Cleveland Clinic motto “Patients First”)
- Education is valued, protected, and embraced (Cleveland Clinic mission)
- Learning climates are positive and supportive
- Residents are inspired, challenged, and mentored
- Outstanding faculty and trainees who support this mission are recruited, developed, and retained
- Faculty and residents are committed to continuous improvement of ourselves and our training program
Please explore our website and view the variety of outstanding and innovative educational opportunities that we can offer to you. You will see that Cleveland is a great place to live and work! We could not be more proud of our program and the physicians we train and look forward to sharing our program with you.
Thank you for visiting our website! Please feel free to contact us with any questions about our unique training opportunities; our internal medicine training program; living, dining, and enjoying the metro parks in our city and region; or even about our Cleveland Sports teams and exceptional cultural gems. Welcome back LeBron!
Abby L Spencer MD, MS, FACP .
Director, Internal Medicine
Residency Training Program
Cleveland Clinic possesses a unique combination of resources and professional development opportunities that enrich the training experience.
Cleveland Clinic is a large academic medical center with:
- More than 1,400 available beds
- 3,000+ staff physicians and research scientists
- 1,785 residents and fellows in training
- Nearly 500 medical students rotating through Cleveland Clinic each year
- 16 Family Health and Surgery Centers throughout the Cleveland region
- Cleveland Clinic’s heart program is ranked as the best in the nation, earning the No. 1 ranking in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospitals” survey. Since 1994, no hospital in the country has ranked higher than Cleveland Clinic in cardiac care.
- A large, diverse patient base, with the majority of patients coming from Cuyahoga County. Common medical problems are the norm, with a sufficient volume of unusual referral cases for excellent teaching.
- A closed-book order policy, giving residents the authority to write all orders and assume full responsibility for patient care. There are no “private” attending staff at Cleveland Clinic.
- Our Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University graduated its first class of medical students in 2009. Our residents play an important role in the education and training of these students.
- Ambulatory care experience in outpatient and continuity clinics.
- Innovative resident clinic redesign using a model organized around a patient-centered medical home with an emphasis on population management of chronic illness.
- Excellent research opportunities to promote scholarly activity. All medical residents complete one written project and one oral presentation.
- A weeklong nationally recognized Internal Medicine board review course which senior residents attend at no cost.
- Our program’s 2012 ABIM pass rate was 95% compared to an 85% national average.
- Training at Cleveland Clinic Emergency Department.
- Highly skilled ancillary personnel, including phlebotomy teams IV teams, respiratory therapists, EKG technicians, radiology technicians, and patient transportation.
- Magnet Status for Nursing Excellence from the American Nursing Association testifies to the outstanding caliber of Cleveland Clinic nurses.
- Cleveland Clinic uses electronic medical records in all of their facilities: