APN’s in the department of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery provide key support in all areas.
- Preoperative preadmission assessment
- In hospital evaluation prior to surgery
- Postoperative care on cardiac and thoracic step-down floors.
- After discharge in the Outpatient department.
Nurse Clinician Services provides key support and assistance during operations. Formally trained Registered Nurse First Assistants (RNFA), Physician Assistants (PA) and Surgical Assistants (SA) perform duties that include:
- Patient assessment
- Harvesting conduit for bypass
- Exposure and cannulation of the vessels as needed
- Assisting with intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP) insertion and management of the IABP in the operating room
- First and second assist during procedures
- First and second assist with Ventricular Assist Device assembly and implantation
- First and second assist with Heart and Lung Transplants
The Heart Failure Team collaborates in the perioperative care and education of all heart transplant, and assist device patients. The Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute has among the world's largest experiences in the innovation, testing and use of cardiac assist devices. The Heart Failure Team:
- Evaluates high risk heart failure patients
- Manages/provides intraoperative support for patients on mechanical devices
- Manages postoperative heart failure patients
- Coordinates post discharge care for device patients
- Community education and family education for device patients
- Manage device patients in the out patient clinic
For more information about the role of the CTS and APN opportunities at the Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute, contact:
Clinical Manager, Intra-operative Care
Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute – J4
Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute
- For more information about nursing and educational opportunities for nurse clinicians at Cleveland Clinic, please visit the nursing website.