Bone Marrow Transplant: Financial Questions to Ask
If you have been approved for a bone marrow transplant, you will need to prepare yourself financially and clarify your insurance coverage while you wait for your transplant.
The transplant financial counselor is available to answer your questions and concerns.
The following questions will help you sort out your insurance coverage and will help you plan for the expenses of transplantation.
Questions for your insurance company
- What is my deductible and out-of-pocket maximum for medical benefits?
- What is the maximum on my insurance coverage? What happens if my financial coverage runs out?
- Do I have a transplant maximum separate from my lifetime max?
- How does my plan determine transplant approval?
- If transplant coverage is denied, am I able to appeal? What is the process?
- If I have a question regarding my Explanation of Benefits (EOB), who should I call?
- How will a change in my job status affect my insurance? What would the increase be in my deductible?
- What pre- and post-transplant tests are covered? Do I need to go to a certain facility for these tests to be covered?
- Does my plan cover donor searching expenses?
- Does my plan cover the expenses incurred by my bone marrow donor?
- Are expenses for meals, lodging, and transportation covered while I wait for my transplant? Are there maximums placed on the reimbursement for these items?
- What are my possible out-of -pocket expenses for prescriptions?
- At which participating pharmacies can I fill my prescriptions?
- Does my insurance provide coverage for home health services? Is there a maximum on my home health service coverage?
- Is there a co-pay for a specialist office visit?
Questions for your transplant financial counselor
- What financial coverage is accepted by the hospital (such as Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance)?
- How much will the transplant cost? How much will I have to pay?
- Planning for transplant costs. National Marrow Donor Program. marrow.org Accessed 2/2/2012
- Dealing with finances. National Marrow Donor Program. marrow.org Accessed 2/2/2012
- Talking About Transplantation: What every patient needs to know. Developing a Financial Plan. United Network for Organ Sharing. www.unos.org Accessed 2/2/2012
- Resource guide for stem cell transplant – Including bone marrow, peripheral blood, and cord blood. www.nbmtlink.org Accessed 2/2/2012
© Copyright 1995-2012 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All rights reserved.
Can't find the health information you’re looking for?
This information is provided by the Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed on: 5/15/2011...#10411