How to Avoid Catching the Flu & Other Viral Illnesses
Try these tips for staying healthy this flu season.
It’s more important than ever before to take care of yourself and your immune system.Try these tips for staying healthy this flu season:
- Consider taking a multivitamin — one half in the morning, the other half with dinner.
- Be sure you’re getting enough vitamin D. (Ask your doctor to check your vitamin D levels using the 25(OH)D3 test.) Most people living north of Atlanta need 1,000 IU per day.
- Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly — and often.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available. Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Eat a diet rich in colorful foods to ensure you’re getting antioxidants.
- Use nasal irrigation products (a Neti pot, for example), which can be found in drugstores. Because they help wash pollutants out of the nasal tissues, they may be beneficial.
- Get a good night’s rest. Sleep is important to maintaining a healthy immune system.