How Does Exercise Improve Depression
Health & Wellness Programs
Did you know Cleveland Clinic offers fitness and wellness programs that can help you manage stress?
What are the benefits of exercise?
Regular exercise has been proven to:
Exercise also has these health benefits:
- Strengthens the heart
- Makes the body better able to use oxygen
- Builds energy levels
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves muscle tone and strength
- Strengthens and builds bones
- Helps reduce body fat
- Makes you look fit and healthy
Exercise and depression: What's the link?
Research has shown that exercise is an effective, but often underused, treatment for mild to moderate depression.
What types of exercise treat depression?
It appears that any form of exercise can help treat depression.
Do I need to see my health care provider before starting an exercise program?
Most people can begin an exercise program without checking with their health care providers. However, people with medical conditions (such as diabetes or heart disease) and people who have not exercised much should check with their health care providers before starting any exercise program.
How can I begin planning my exercise routine?
Here are some questions you can think about before choosing a routine:
- What physical activities do I enjoy?
- Do I prefer group or individual activities?
- What programs best fit my schedule?
- Do I have physical conditions that limit my choice of exercise?
- What goals do I have in mind? (For example, weight loss, strengthening muscles improving flexibility, or mood enhancement)
How often should I exercise?
To get the most benefit, you should exercise at least 20 to 30 minutes most days of the week. If you are a beginner, exercise for 20 minutes and build-up to 30 minutes.
How do I get started?
When starting out, you should plan a routine that is easy to follow and maintain. As the program becomes more routine, you can vary your exercise times and activities.
- Choose an activity you enjoy. Exercising should be fun, not a chore.
- Schedule regular exercise into your daily routine. Add a variety of exercises so that you don't get bored. Look into scheduled exercise classes at your local community center.
- Exercise does not have to put a strain on your wallet. Avoid buying expensive equipment or health club memberships unless you are certain you will use them regularly.
- Stick with it. If you exercise regularly, it will soon become part of your lifestyle.
What should I do if I feel pain during exercise?
Never ignore pain. If you experience pain, rest. You may cause stress and damage to your joints and muscles if you continue exercising.
If you still feel pain two hours after exercising, you have done too much and need to decrease your activity level. Some mild soreness after exercise is normal. If pain persists or is severe, or you suspect you have injured yourself, contact your doctor right away.
Anxiety and Depression Association of America.
Exercise for Stress and Anxiety
American Psychological Association.
Exercise Helps Keep Your Psyche Fit
Anderson E, Shivakumar G. Effects of exercise and physical activity on anxiety. Front Psychiatry. 2013;4:27.
Accessed via ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Zschucke E, Gaudlitz K, Ströhle A. Exercise and physical activity in mental disorders: clinical and experimental evidence. J Prev Med Public Health. 2013;46 Suppl 1(Suppl 1):S12-21.
Accessed via ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
© Copyright 1995-2014 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All rights reserved.
Can't find the health information you’re looking for?
This information is provided by the Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed on: 3/18/2014...#9298