Overactive bladder represents a constellation of symptoms characterized by urinary urgency, frequency of urination and the need to get up at least 2 times or more per night. Overactive bladder is a very common condition and is readily treatable. Cleveland Clinic urologists work with patients to use behavioral therapy, medication and in severe cases a new therapy called Interstim to treat overactive bladder.
- 17 million or more Americans suffer from OAB
- 1 out of 6 people over the age of 40 has symptoms of OAB
- 60% of the people who have OAB have symptoms of urgency and frequency only ("OAB dry") while the remaining 40% will also have urge incontinence (leakage, "OAB wet")
- Patients may wait on average, seven years before discussing their bladder control problem with their physicians
- Patients frequently describe difficulties with sexual function due to bladder control problems