What are chiropractors and what do they do?
Chiropractic physicians are established members of the mainstream medical team. They treat problems involving the muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones, cartilage and nervous system. Chiropractic physicians can perform soft-tissue therapies, prescribe corrective exercises, and safely manipulate the spine or joints to help you avoid surgery and medication. You may benefit from the chiropractor’s “hands on” approach to relieve chronic pain from old injuries or for acute pain from new injuries, including:
- Neck or back pain
- Pelvic pain
- Shoulder, elbow or wrist pain
- Knee, hip or ankle pain
What do wellness chiropractic physicians do differently?
Wellness chiropractic physicians consider the “whole patient” and not just the area that hurts. They receive extra training in exercise prescriptions, corrective exercises, advanced nutrition, and dietary and lifestyle intervention. Wellness chiropractic physicians are specially trained to incorporate chiropractic treatment into complex medical care, working with your primary care doctor and specialists.
What happens during a chiropractic session?
During an initial one-hour visit, the chiropractic physician will:
- Ask detailed questions about your personal and family health history
- Give you a thorough orthopedic and neurological exam
- Evaluating the texture, tightness and movement of the muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves in any problem area(s)
- Create a customized treatment plan based on your needs
- Coordinate all ongoing care with your primary care doctor or specialist(s)
- Follow-up visits for established patients usually last 45 minutes.
What does chiropractic treatment involve?
Chiropractic treatment is aimed at improving your musculoskeletal mechanics, increasing your strength and alleviating your discomfort. The goal is to restore you to full function while your body heals itself naturally. Safe, noninvasive, effective treatments that help to restore pain-free movement and normal range of motion include:
- Corrective or rehabilitative exercises prescriptions to increase muscular endurance, improve function and reduce stresses on the body
- Soft-tissue therapy, including active release therapy, myofascial release therapy and cross-tissue friction massage (the Graston Technique®)
- Spinal or joint mobilization and manipulation, when needed
- Joint bracing and taping to support an injured area or for performance
- Nutrition recommendations to reduce weight, relieving joint pain and posture problems
Are visits to wellness chiropractic physicians covered by insurance?
The vast majority of chiropractic treatments are covered by health insurance plans. Check with your insurer, however, because coverage differs among carriers.
Where can I see a wellness chiropractic physician?
Our Wellness Institute chiropractic physicians can see you in the park-like setting of our beautiful Lyndhurst campus.
Schedule an Appointment
To schedule an appointment for chiropractic or other integrative medicine services, call Cleveland Clinic's Center for Integrative Medicine at 216.986.HEAL (4325).
Cleveland Clinic's Center for Integrative Medicine sees more than 3,500 patients per year for a variety of services, including acupuncture, massage, Reiki, mind/body coaching, nutrition, weight loss and holistic psychotherapy.