Program Director's Message
Welcome to the pediatric residency program at Cleveland Clinic Children’s! We are thrilled that you are considering joining us for the next phase of your pediatric career. We are looking for a diverse group of motivated individuals who are passionate about taking care of children. Whether your professional goals are to provide pediatric primary care in the medical home or to pursue subspecialty training, Cleveland Clinic Children’s will provide you the education and skills you need to thrive. Our general pediatric patients represent urban, suburban, and rural populations of varying ethnic backgrounds and socioeconomic status. You will have an opportunity to work in different healthcare settings during your general pediatric rotations and continuity clinics that represent the current healthcare environment. Your inpatient general pediatric rotations are led by pediatric hospitalists who specialize in the care of the hospitalized pediatric patients. Your general pediatric education will be supported by subspecialty training opportunities. Our children’s hospital is well-staffed in all pediatric subspecialties, so we are able to provide comprehensive care for children with any level of medical challenges. You will round out your education with elective opportunities that meet your personal and professional needs and interests.
We are very proud of our Pediatric Residents! We strive to foster an atmosphere of lifelong learning and passion for pediatric care. Our residency graduates are pediatricians – both primary care physicians and subspecialists – locally, around the country, and around the world!
Thank you again for expressing interest in our pediatric residency program. We accept applications through ERAS for the upcoming academic year which begins on July 1st. We look forward to hearing from you!
Charles Kwon, MD
Pediatric Residency Program Director
Whether your professional plans are to provide pediatric primary care or to pursue subspecialty training, Cleveland Clinic Children’s offers a wealth of clinical experience in a collegial setting. We consider it our privilege, as well as our responsibility, to train the next generation of pediatricians to meet this high standard. We provide the ideal mix of patients, academic environment, and highly motivated teaching staff necessary for a compelling, challenging, and rewarding pediatric residency.
The Cleveland Clinic Children’s Residency Experience
Cleveland Clinic Children’s is a “hospital within a hospital,” providing our pediatric patients access to the vast resources available at Cleveland Clinic, one of the top four medical centers in the United States. The majority of our pediatric residency program’s educational experiences take place at Cleveland Clinic Children’s on our Main Campus. Here are just a few of the many special features of our children's hospital:
- State of the art pediatric and neonatal intensive care units are staffed 24 hours a day with senior in-house staff that teach and assist residents in patient management.
- The tertiary care center of Cleveland Clinic’s Main Campus is complemented by two affiliated community hospitals.
- Freestanding children’s rehabilitation hospital, one of only four in the United States. Programs featured at the rehabilitation hospital include: a pediatric dialysis unit, developmental pediatrics, a feeding disorders clinic, a chronic pain management unit, an autism center and school.
- The Cleveland Clinic Children’s boasts three Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Units: Main Campus, Hillcrest Hospital and Fairview Hospital. It also has a Special Delivery Unit where women with medical conditions and anticipated neonatal complications can safely deliver in a state of the art facility.
- Residents teach and supervise medical students from Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University Medical School, and visiting medical students on third-year core pediatric rotations and acting internship rotations.
- Residents receive special training on how to be a teacher and how to give feedback.
- Research experience, basic training in biostatistics as well as a detailed curriculum in the critical analysis of medical literature (including research methodology and biostatistics).
- Opportunity to present research each year at our Annual Pediatric Research Day, with cash prizes awarded for the best projects.
What differentiates our pediatric residency program from others is a strong outpatient experience in both general and subspecialty pediatrics, with one-on-one staff teaching the rule rather than the exception. We invite you to compare our program to others, and encourage you to visit us and do an elective here so you can see the advantages of our system firsthand.
Pediatric Residency Leadership:
- Giovanni Piedimonte, MD , Chairman, Pediatric Institute and Cleveland Clinic Children's
- Charles Kwon, MD, Associate Residency Program Director
- Katie Pestak, DO, Associate Residency Program Director
- Andrew Zeft, MD, Associate Residency Program Director
- Pauli Bokor, Pediatric Education Manager
Department of Pediatric Education
9500 Euclid Avenue, S25
Cleveland, OH 44195
For additional GME information, please visit our Graduate Medical Education website