Low-Fat Snack Ideas for Kids
There are many reasons why it might be right for your child to start eating a lower-fat diet. Talk with a dietitian or your doctor to decide if your child should be eating a low-fat diet. Here are some suggestions to help decrease fat in your child's diet.
When your child asks for a high-fat food, offer a lower-fat choice instead.
||Pretzels or baked chips
|Fried chicken fingers
||Grilled chicken slices
||Baked potato wedges
||Dried fruit pieces
Give your child low-fat snacks during the day.
Healthy and fun snack ideas:
- Mini-pizza - Top English muffins with tomato sauce, low-fat cheese and vegetables. Broil until cheese melts.
- Sandwich creations - Cut any sandwich (made with whole wheat bread, low-fat cheese, lean meats, and fat-free dressings) with cookie cutters.
- Fruit smoothie - Blend low-fat yogurt, banana, juice, and ice together.
- Banana pops - Peel banana, dip in yogurt, roll in crushed breakfast cereal, then freeze.
- Apple smiles - Spread peanut butter onto apple wedges and use marshmallows and/or raisins for teeth.
Other quick snack ideas:
- graham crackers
- whole wheat crackers and low-fat cheese
- peanut butter on toast
- trail mix (nuts, dry cereal, dried fruit)
- dried fruit such as raisins, apricots, mixed fruit
- low-fat or fat-free yogurt
Use low-fat foods in your home, including the following:
- skim milk
- low-fat or fat-free salad dressings
- low-fat or fat-free cheeses
- condiments such as mustard, ketchup, and BBQ sauce instead of mayonnaise, butter, or margarine
- lean lunch meats such as lean ham, turkey, or chicken
Offer fruits and vegetables as snacks instead of cakes, cookies, or candies.
© Copyright 1995-2010 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All rights reserved.
Can't find the health information you’re looking for?
This information is provided by the Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed on: 6/1/2009…#13374