Ashis Chawla is a urologist at Cleveland Clinic Canada and provides urology consultations on-site to patients in our Executive Health program. His scope of practice includes treating both benign and malignant urologic conditions with a special interest in minimally invasive surgery. In addition to treating patients at our clinic, Dr. Chawla is also a Staff Urologist at St. Joseph’s Health Centre, an Associate Urologist at Toronto Rehabilitation Centre, and a Lecturer in the Department of Surgery at the University of Toronto.
Additionally, he is a Diplomat of the American Board of Urology and a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Since completing his training he has been actively involved in medical education which has led him to several recognitions including teaching awards at both the postgraduate and undergraduate levels. He presently heads the Endo-Urology and Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship at St. Joseph’s Health Centre.
For more than a decade, Dr. Chawla has been actively involved in several research endeavors in the area of minimally invasive surgery with an emphasis on renal and prostate cancer. During this time he has also coauthored a leading textbook chapter in the area of minimally invasive techniques specific to renal cancer. Dr. Chawla remains active in many leadership roles both at the local and provincial level as a Faculty Liaison on many leadership groups and committees including the Ontario Medical Association as Secretary, Section of Urology.
In his free time, Dr. Chawla enjoys time with his family travelling where he commonly enjoys SCUBA diving, sailing and playing golf. He is actively involved in his cultural community where he acts as a mentor for young students looking to pursue careers in healthcare.
- McMaster University
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Laparoscopy and Endo-Urology
- University of Toronto
- Doctor of Medicine
- University of Toronto
- Bachelor of Sciences
- University of Ottawa
- Diplomat of the American Board of Urology (Dip. ABU), Board Certified American Board of Urology
- Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship: Laparoscopy and Endo-Urology, McMaster University
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCSC)
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Prostate Cancer
- Renal cancer
Awards and Honours
- Best Clinical Teacher Urology, St. Joseph’s Health Centre
- Alumni Research Scholarship, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Honours Standing, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Ontario Medical Association, Secretary, Section of Urology
- St. Joseph’s Health Centre, eCare Physician Advisory Group
- St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Endo-Urology and Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship Supervisor
- Canadian Urology Association
- Canadian Endo-Urology Association
- American Urology Association