Healthy Snacks on the Go
No need to skimp on nutrition, even when time is short. Treat yourself and your kids to these nutrition-packed snacks recommended by our Cleveland Clinic Canada registered dietitians.
- Mini-pizzas made by topping whole-wheat English muffins with tomato sauce, low-fat cheese and vegetables. Broil the pizzas until the cheese melts.
- Sandwiches made with whole-wheat bread, low-fat cheese and lean meats. They taste even better when cut into fun shapes with cookie cutters.
- Real fruit smoothies blend low-fat yogurt and milk with a banana or berries, a splash of 100 % juice and ice.
- Banana pops instead of ice cream sandwiches. Try this: dip a banana in yogurt, roll it in low-fat granola or crushed breakfast cereal, and freeze it to make a refreshing banana pop.
- Apple smiles a favourite with younger children. Spread peanut butter onto apple wedges and add golden raisins for teeth.
- Vegetables such as baby carrots, strips of green or red pepper, or celery sticks. Serve with hummus.
To book a nutrition consultation with one of our registered dietitians, please call 416.507.6600.